162 replies to this topic

#1 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7,036 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 August 2015 - 23:30

Thoughts on Realms

Ragnar here. In this inaugural dev blog, I’m going to talk a bit about Book Three. But first: let’s
backtrack, back to the beginning.

(Expect ramblings.)

When Book One came out late last year, we were winging it. There was no framework in place for
adding episodes; we had designs in place, and some tech, but it was unfinished, unproven. We were
jumping into unknown waters with the story and the episodic structure. The waters were deep and
dark, and they were freezing.

After releasing the first episode, after digesting feedback and reviews and getting our heads back above
water, our second episode grew bigger and more ambitious. We wanted to exceed expectations, we
wanted to do better, and we wanted to respond to the loudest criticisms: a slow start, they said; a lack
of action and drama, they said; a story that was just getting started when it abruptly stopped, they
said. We didn’t disagree.

So we wanted our sophomore release to soar.

(Continue reading here)
Comments can be posted below

Mods: We didn't really finish discussing how to handle these. However I don't want people to miss it. Let's gauge the response and then discuss how
we want to handle it going forwards, including which subforum it belongs in and the format etc.
  • Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 6 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11,070 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:06

I'm kind of in a weird headspace, so I think I'll refrain from commenting too thoroughly on everything here until I've slept. I'm having a lot of feels here, and I think I need a bit of time to sort through them. 

Definitely a good read, though. I really appreciate Ragnar posting it. And the openness and honesty we get from the team is just really amazing. 

Beyond that, the only thing I feel obligated to comment on is this. 

(Say, if players love a certain character, (s)he is more likely to suffer a terrifying fate. That’s just fair.)

Bye, Enu.  :evil:

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:39

The team has been quick to fix problems as they occur and are reported, usually patching within twenty-four hours after an episode goes live, but quality assurance — catching bugs before they’re released into the wild — has been a challenge from the start. One part of this is resources (lack of), the other part complexity: we have a tiny team and a giant, ridiculously twisty game with hundreds of thousands of permutations of various choices and consequences. Unless we do public betas — not ideal for a story-driven adventure — I’m not sure how much better it’ll get.

Yeah, exactly my though...

How many are you for doing what is possibly the most ambitious adventure game we got in the last decade...

Of course, everything gonna be safe... :rolleyes:

Thanks Ragnar for the blog

#4 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:11

It was pretty interesting to read. I'm most suprised that they planned to release Book Three in mid-May. I hope so that in upcoming dev blogs they will talk about story.

#5 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:51

I think we can now say for sure that Enu will die.

Good read. I like that the team keeps that much in touch with us. I do feel sorry for them overall though. I don't think I could last one day in that business.

Someone please explain me what the pros of episodic gaming are. Cos...I really think it might have been better to take the time and develop a full game, instead of always having the nagging "can't they release next episode?!" in your back.

Oh and also: I would love to beta test. And I'm one of the people who would sign something, or swear or whatever you want and really stick to it. My lips are sealed.

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#6 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:09

I think we can now say for sure that Enu will die.

I think the only thing we can say for sure, is that Ragnar is the Community Trolling Master... ;)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 5 others like this

#7 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:29

I loved the post Ragnar.  Of course, I've always enjoyed the behind the scenes commentary that you can get with DVDs.  It gives me an insight into an industry and life that otherwise I could only guess at. 

I guess I'm trying to say that I enjoyed the blog, and look forward to hearing more form you and the rest of RTG.

#8 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:44

This dev blog is a great read. Thank you RTG for this. Can't wait to read more from the rest of the team.

about Enu.... :evil:
I should try to figure out how to make a mesh swap mod and replace all charachters with enus. :D
You can't kill them all. :P

#9 Skizzo

Skizzo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:48

A very interesting post and this might seem and very reassuring to read that they are not above admitting making mistakes. Although I generally do not have much against the game so far (apart from minor things like walking around a certain house for way too long to find some drawings), in fact I absolutely love the story, reading that assures me that they are indeed listening to constructive feedback instead of simply shaking their heads and saying: 'this is the way we want to tell the story and if you don't like it, tough!'

And Enu dying? Not necessarily: he mentioned a terrifying fate. That can be anything from mutilation to having to drink buttermilk.

• Edreamer Jamil, Indrid Cold, Bruno and 1 other like this

#10 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:51

And Enu dying? Not necessarily: he mentioned a terrifying fate. That can be anything from mutilation to having to drink buttermilk.

Or marrying Vamon. :P

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and Skizzo like this

#11 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:16

I approve that RTG is improving the communication process with this dev diary.

Should have been done sooner, but its better late than never :) 

blasted be the balance

#12 spteng

spteng

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:32

We’ve also put a lot of work into porting the game to Unity 5. Performance has been one of our weaknesses, and we’ve heard plenty of complaints, so we’ve been keen to find a solution. It’s been a long process but we’ll finish porting everything over in time for the release of Book Four. This means that all previous episodes will run on the new version of the engine, and, hopefully, this will improve performance across the board. We’ll have more technical details about the Unity 5 port in the weeks ahead, probably in an upcoming dev blog.

Awesome! 

• trentjaspar and loranna238 like this

#13 MilDal

MilDal

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:36

Very interesting to read ! and thanks for your honesty and transparency. But I do not make me worry about the next books, you're extremely talented!

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:17

Did I just read some book? This was LONG, guys! An appropriately long response is in order. Here it is, excuse my rambling.

Few are questioning the relevance of choices in the game now. Actions and consequences have played out across three episodes, and it’s obvious that decisions players make actually matter. There are real repercussions to the actions you take, and while they’re not always immediately obvious, they’re often long-lasting. So we’re stepping back on the in-your-face notifications, making the whole mechanic more subtle again.

*phew*

We’ve also put a lot of work into porting the game to Unity 5. Performance has been one of our weaknesses, and we’ve heard plenty of complaints, so we’ve been keen to find a solution. It’s been a long process but we’ll finish porting everything over in time for the release of Book Four. This means that all previous episodes will run on the new version of the engine, and, hopefully, this will improve performance across the board. We’ll have more technical details about the Unity 5 port in the weeks ahead, probably in an upcoming dev blog.

Please make sure the initial ported version releases weeks BEFORE Book 4, not simultaneously!

It's in all our interests, I promise.

Bye, Enu. :evil:

Let's assume that universally beloved character is Wonkers and the terrible fate is to rot in a box, patiently waiting to play a game with Zoë.  :tear:

Enu, actually, has to make up for her bland Book 3 performance first before Ragnar gets to kill her off. We'll see how she fares as Mrs. Castillo's secondary travel companion... though the sidekick infighting could go either way.

• Edreamer Jamil, debro, OptoNick and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#15 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:24

Please make sure the initial ported version releases weeks BEFORE Book 4, not simultaneously!

It's in all our interests, I promise.

I second this.

Can I just add: I think Kian is amazing, just love him,  by far my favorite and in my view the most popular character.

• Vainamoinen, Bruno, debro and 1 other like this

#16 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:40

I'm kind of in a weird headspace, so I think I'll refrain from commenting too thoroughly on everything here until I've slept. I'm having a lot of feels here, and I think I need a bit of time to sort through them. 

Definitely a good read, though. I really appreciate Ragnar posting it. And the openness and honesty we get from the team is just really amazing. 

Beyond that, the only thing I feel obligated to comment on is this. 

Bye, Enu.  :evil:

I want her to shift dimensions and end up with Walter Bishop, those 2 together will be a splendid socially akward pair, and on top of it they can have me)

To repsond to the blogpost: I've got no real complaints, because i'm old fasioned. I know how hard it is to make computer software and rathe than stand on the sideline and be negative, if I find a problem I rather will report it and participate in giving feedback. Developers have no use for people who complain about unfinishd software in a negative way like is the trend nowadays.

I guess I'm just easy to please and I view a game that I'm interested as wondrous interactive entertainmen. if I find an issue I feel mainly sorry for the game rather than anger towards the developers. It's just a matter of perspective I guess.

Sometimes, announcemens are a bit lost in time such as the suggestion that in april we'd get more news on the keys that we can add to our games for extra skins. But again there, I give the devs leeway, they are small and can't do everything at once. DFC turned out great, the expectation of a continuing TLJ story is more than compensated and because the devs retro-actively fit earlier episodes, why would there be so much complaints ? 

If all of these little errors and bugs could be avoided, I think that meant that the release of the game would have been delayed for a year, which was more nefarious for all the KS backers who were waiting for it. So I think this is the best of both worlds. And I often see deminishing respect for game developers all together.

I wish that people would have a more nuanced vision and see the "humane" factor behind a game developer. That is getting more and more lost nowadays. But not here, we've been very "forgiving" towards the evolution of the game and the only real harsh comments that reach us are those that don't want politics in a game. But that is upto the developers' vision.

#17 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:29

But not here, we've been very "forgiving" towards the evolution of the game and the only real harsh comments that reach us are those that don't want politics in a game.

Correction: The harsh comments that reach us are coming from those who are desperately seeing politics in a game.

But how fucked up do people have to be to consider one black [canon] gay protagonist politics, but not the thousands of white straight ones?

Politics. Hah. :rolleyes:

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Indrid Cold and 5 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11,070 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 13:47

I'll have more to say later when it's not before 8AM and I'm running out the door, but I just wanted to say that I was joking about Enu. ...Kind of. Mostly.

I mean. Ragnar is clearly trolling there. (In the good-natured way, not the other way.)  ...There's likely some truth to all of it, but he's said a handful of things like that before...likely because he enjoys watching the reactions. (I think "taunting your players" counts as an episodic advantage for some devs. ;) )

Or marrying Vamon. :P

s2zg1qc.jpg

• khh, OptoNick and Skizzo like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#19 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 14:13

I'll have more to say later when it's not before 8AM and I'm running out the door, but I just wanted to say that I was joking about Enu. ...Kind of. Mostly.

I mean. Ragnar is clearly trolling there. (In the good-natured way, not the other way.)  ...There's likely some truth to all of it, but he's said a handful of things like that before...likely because he enjoys watching the reactions. (I think "taunting your players" counts as an episodic advantage for some devs. ;) )

I think it's pretty evident that Ragnar has a great sense of humour.

#20 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 14:56

Maybe a teensy bit too repetitive in this particular case!

• ct2651 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users