#1 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:18

I don't know if this, or something similar, has been posted before, so I apologize in advance if it has. But I wanted to take the time to write a little bit how TLJ and Dreamfall have changed my views on the world.

I am not often affected by video games or books. But every now and then something just hits me at the right time in my life. Like sometimes I'm reading and I get to the end of the book and I just have an internal "wow" moment. Dreamfall was the first and only game that has ever done this to me. I remember I first got the game early last summer. And once I started playing it, I couldn't stop. I remember seeing it in my local comic book store for 4 dollars. I bought it thinking "well I hear this was good." I didn't even stop playing it. I may have paused it once to get a drink and eat but that's it. I mean, it didn't have the best graphics, and the gameplay wasn't top tier, but I absolutely loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved the history of it. I just loved the game.

After the ending, I just sat staring at the T.V. screen. All I could think was "There has to be a sequel." But lo and behold, there wasn't one. So I did the best thing, well let's see if there was a prequel, so I bought it and played it. Almost the same experience expect that I slept for four hours at one point. After I beat that game, I sat wondering how in the name of the Balance was this game so cheap? I went on Amazon and bought the game (Dreamfall) for PC (my first one was for Xbox original) at full price just to show my support.

But I needed more. I needed more of the Balance, of Arcadia, of Stark, of everything. I just loved how much it resonated with me. So I took the advice from Ragnar, and I looked up the Aboriginal Australain mythology and understanding of the Dreaming. I became fascinated by it. So I studied it for two months. When I wasn't studying in college or hanging out with my girlfriend, I was looking this up. I became drawn to it. Now, I've never been one for faith, or one for blinding science, but the mythology of Dreaming took the best of everything I believed in. So what did I do? I focused an entire 20 page paper on the understanding of what I call "Actuality." Actuality, as I described it and have come to understand, is the two essences of the All (the rational world that we all live in) and the Nothing (pure chaos incapable of being understood). This was like Stark (the rational world bound by science) and Arcadia (the world of magic where laws and limits did not exist). But even chaos contained some order, and vice versa. The rational world has dreams, hopes that can seem impossible, yet we'll never know. And the Nothing cannot be understood, because we can only "prove" what is rational. Like when Zoe tells Charlie she went to Arcadia, it seemed impossible, yet there was no evidence other than what was told to him. Yet he had faith.

And then there is the Balance. That which separates the All from the Nothing. The wall that separates order from chaos, the rational and the magical. The Balance is like the force in the Universe that separates the "good" from the "bad." When it comes to "praying," I find I pray like Cortez. As Cortez says from the TLJ (in response to April asking him what does he pray to), "To the Universe. To the Balance. To the rock in this floor and the air around us. To you and to myself." That is what I pray to. Not a deity, not something I can't understand. But instead to everything. I pray to the Balance that has given me and the Universe some sort of rational way of existing.

As a kid, I've always been attached to my dreams. I didn't exactly have an uplifting childhood (and I won't and don't care to get into details) but my dreams were always where I felt "most" at home. Something about them seemed "real." I mean, they had an impact on me. They made me wiser, they made me adventurous. Is that not what a "real" experience is? Playing Dreamfall was basically an awakening to me. It was a game that told me I wasn't alone in the world, that my dreams may be real.

But most important, the game introduced to me the Storytime. The place where all stories begin and end. What is my life if not a great story? We all belong to the Storytime. We all have a unique story, in a set place in time, with the company of others. The Storytime is what I envision heaven as. A place where stories begin and end.

Now, if you've read this far, I applaud you.

I wanted to say this for a while, but I never could find the right person or group to tell.

Maybe someone reading this will have a similar belief. Or maybe the total opposite reaction to me.

Most of all though, what I really want to say is thank you. To the developers, the creators, and every one of you on this forum, thanks. I'm not much a social person, and my beliefs are strange I guess, but they mean the world to me. And the opportunity to share them to a community of people who seem like kind, honest, and maybe just as strange as me people is the greatest thing I could ever ask for.

I wish I could of gone to JourneyCon last year, but I am saving every penny to make sure I can go to the next one. If I do one thing in my life, it would be to travel somewhere halfway across the world (for me at least) to pay tribute to the most awesome game developing group and community of players this world has ever seen.

As always, may the Balance be with each and every single one of you.

• wandrew, Teller, Edreamer Jamil and 7 others like this

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream. One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path … the other path leads to a place of shadows. Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious. Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance. But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back. I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path. I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else. To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up." -Brian Westhouse, Dreamfall

"The hardest part of the day isn't falling asleep realizing you are going to awaken in a new world. It's trying to wake up knowing you will have to fall asleep and abandon that world at some point, abandoning everything that you've fallen in love with in that world."

#2 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 20:46

TLJ/DF and this community have made me want to go to Norway someday.

• wandrew, Teller and Undreamer like this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#3 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 26 June 2014 - 20:52

TLJ/DF and this community have made me want to go to Norway someday.

Seconded. I'd love to travel there. I wonder what the cheapest way to go is. Like travel wise that is lol.

• trentjaspar likes this

"I am at the crossroads between waking and dream. One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path … the other path leads to a place of shadows. Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious. Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance. But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back. I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path. I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else. To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up." -Brian Westhouse, Dreamfall

"The hardest part of the day isn't falling asleep realizing you are going to awaken in a new world. It's trying to wake up knowing you will have to fall asleep and abandon that world at some point, abandoning everything that you've fallen in love with in that world."

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7,028 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 June 2014 - 20:54

Seconded. I'd love to travel there. I wonder what the cheapest way to go is. Like travel wise that is lol.

I don't really think "Norway" and "cheap" can be used in the same sentence without a "not".

• Teller, Ceridwen, Dmm and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 Undreamer

Undreamer

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationThe Storytime

Posted 26 June 2014 - 21:03

I don't really think "Norway" and "cheap" can be used in the same sentence without a "not".

If there is a will there is a way. I mean I know it's going to be pricey, but options like flying directly there, hotels, etc... Every dollar counts! Or Euro. Or (insert other currency here)

#6 Teller

Teller

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:20

I'm not sure TLJ alone changed me.  Adventure games in general did.  TLJ did teach me some things.  Patience is most certainly near the top of that list.  Waiting in-between for sequels has been nothing less than an arduous task.  

The story itself touched me deeply.  I've always believed in balance in everything in life.  When I played TLJ, this belief was pretty much reaffirmed and solidified.

You've perhaps gone a little deeper into it, but it does follow a lot of my belief systems which is one reason I love it so much.  

• Undreamer and Rowan37 like this

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#7 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 28 June 2014 - 13:24

I made several blogs about this but I can just summarize here.

I'm an atheist. But ironicly i'd say that if this were a real religion, I would be a believer. Simply because it just doesn't antropromorphise every flaw and positive thing from humans into one being that becomes as unstable as humankind itself, and I don't believe in giving up our responsibility to an imaginary creature for the pretext that we can just do any barbaric thing after the other. Because of the mantra "let god sort it out", lots of BS happens. I hate that hypocricy;

So Instead "the balance" is more like a metaphore. I can even live with it if people would want to see it as an entity, beit an entity which is in all of us, and as cortez says, in the stones on the ground and in the sky above.

it leans much more to the idea that we can have a deep passion and discuss science. The science of night and day, the science of trees metabolizing oxigen, the science of energetic stratae, you know... and then we can be emotionally touched by art. And I take this not only as the "art" that man makes like this game, but also the "art" of animals, the synergy between ecological systems. Why bees pollinate flowers, because that is "art" too. It's spontaneious "art" that comes from an idea of "balance" between anything.

And for that I can believe in "the balance" as a religion.

Therefore I also find it acceptable that as metaphore to drive the story, magic has to be sepparated from it because the 2 combined would be too dangerous and give people too much power than they can morally handle. But it's after all a story and the magic is great to bring entertainment and mystery to it. And I can believe some portions of the magic in arcadia because it's grounded in alchemy.

But that doesn't mean we can't find levitating vehicles equally mysterious and that's the irony. That ultimately, somebody's magic is another one's science. And so the circle is complete.

• Teller, Forwyn and Undreamer like this

#8 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 17:57

It was a part of me when I first found it. I found it by "accident" at the right time. I resonated with it's spiritual themes about universes and what not. At the time I had experiences with the super natural. Which no one will believe but that's ok. So I really got it at the time and was blown away by the game.
I really enjoyed it.

#9 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:18

It's made me appreciate that games can tell good stories.

• Margo, thelj, Undreamer and 1 other like this

#10 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:54

TLJ came around at the right time in my life - when I was also in the process of figuring out what I wanted to do with myself, and whether the story I had told myself about myself still made sense.  And like April -- the answer was yes and no.  I don't know if it changed me per se, but it was clarifying, and it helped.

Also, in light of today's Euro-pride goings-on, Mickey and Fiona really did help me get more comfortable with the idea of committed same-sex couples.  I knew one out gay man and a bi girl in college, but it was still a little outside my comfort zone, because it was something I knew next to nothing about (I went to college in a pretty small town in Pennsylvania).  TLJ helped me keep going in my process of understanding, which I'm thankful for.

• Teller, Undreamer, NeilClaimer and 1 other like this

#11 Evilopoly90

Evilopoly90

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWherever my theatre company is touring

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:19

Well okay. I'll bite.

The Longest Journey was the first time I experienced a complete and watertight story that I could relate to factors within and without my life. I was very young when I picked up my first of 3 copies of TLJ. Being a 3 year old child with very little to do only his imagination to keep himself company my parents bought the game so I could be distracted while they played at their favorite pass time, violent and loud arguing. Despite my lack of understanding for Point and Click logic I managed to get quite far, till my arch nemesis that rubber abomination of squeaky quacks gave me pause. It was a game that encouraged me to learn to read and explore from a very early age. It affected my development and made me want to write creatively and learn how to read so I could understand the game and complete it. It certainly affected my aptitude in school as I ended up being the only six year old in the class who could spell and read somewhat properly. Partly due to a want to complete the game I ended up way too smart for my own good. 

Naturally this lead to bullying from both teachers and students so I retreated back to the game. Back to April Ryan and her life which my young self could relate to. When I was 6 I finally solved that duck puzzle and ended up completing the game. The Longest Journey made me feel like I was important. That despite what people around me said, I wasn't alone. Despite some awfull goings on around me I could escape and be happy. After I completed it, Ragnar and the Longest Journey team had me as a fan. It's not worth much and I'm just a drop in an increasingly large lake but it inspired me in so many ways.

It inspired me to pursue my dreams of becoming an actor. TLJ helped get me through my audition into my theatre school.  Hell, it inspired me to be brave enough to go to Rezzed 13 and ask Ragnar to his face if I could voice act in his game (which I still want to do, I want to be that dust bin Ragnar!) It helped make me the person I am today. 

God now I've become all self indulgent and egocentric again. Oh well, hope you enjoyed my ramblings.

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, trentjaspar and 2 others like this

Trainee Actor, Proud fanboy and obsessive stal- uh, I mean appreciator of Red Thread Game

Follow my Twitter to see my attempts to make every Celebrity roll SAN at least once!

#12 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:23

Dreamfall is very personal for me. A lot of themes presented in game belongs to my life. And the ending as well. Maybe Chapters will be the same...its time for a spiritual reborn/rebirth and new life!

#13 Margo

Margo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMoscow,Russia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:46

Dreamfall and TLJ helped me alot when I felt stuck in my journey through life. This stories helped me understand importance of Faith (not religious faith) - faith in yourself,faith in people close to you, faith in your purpose and importance of finding this purpose.

• Undreamer and NeilClaimer like this

#14 April01

April01

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 14:30

Nice topic and question. If ever a game really had influence on my life, then it was TlJ. Difficult to explain, but it gave me such a good feeling, every time I play it again. Normally I play a game and this was it then. Perhaps a second time, but then it is enough. Tlj I play again and again, and it never gets boring at all. Instead I still discover things I never realized before. Still today. Tlj is a fascinating game for eternity, and the one game of my life. I know this will not change, as it didn't change in 15 years so far... :lol:

• Undreamer likes this

#15 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 22 January 2015 - 19:54

TLJ introduced me to dialogue driven Adventure Games - and there was no turning back after that.

April was the first game character that I had a strong feeling of connection with.

At the end of the game, a truly felt April's disappointment and puzzlement over what had been asked of her (Ragnar did a very good job). And, I fully accepted the April in DF as a natural reaction to the feelings of disappointment and puzzlement over the life she lost. 

#16 Yuriko

Yuriko

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 February 2015 - 14:39

I think TLJ changed me in many ways. It was one of the first games I got for my computer, if not ''the'' first. I'm so happy TLJ was the one which introduced me to the adventure game genre. I've played many games after that, but TLJ is still an old-time favorite :)

• Undreamer likes this

#17 Jelena

Jelena

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationKosovska Mitrovica, Kosovo/Serbia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 16:45

This hits me in the feels. We have some things in common, you and I. My childhood was, well...not good. My dreams, from the childhood days and later on, haunted me. Some of them are so vivid that I remember everything. Some of them I even dreamed more than once - the same exact dream. These dreams mean a lot to me, even though they confuse me. Apart from this, I can also relate to the political aspect in the series. I live in the place of war - Kosovo, "The heart of Serbia" (well, not anymore). The media manipulation, the ever so shitty government, me feeling like a prisoner in my own hometown... And, it's kind of symbolic that TLJ is from 1999 and the war on Kosovo started that year. I was only 9 years old, but I remember almost everything. Also, I can relate to April when it comes to the artistic side - I also draw, but that's a hobby, my calling is music, but then - as Saga - she wants to be a singer/songwriter and to play guitar, which is what I am doing for a long time now. I can relate to Zoe when it comes to many aspects of her life, as well. Like, being stuck and not knowing what to do in life. Striving for greater things. And, as I mentioned, the dreaming. Also, her not-so-great relationship with her parents. So, yeah, you can see how and why this game series means to me. I love other games, like Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, I even involved myself in The Sims, lol. But this is completely different from anything I have experienced before - games, movies, or anything really. And I'm glad to know that there are more people who view this game as much more than just a very creative and beautiful game.

#18 primaleph

primaleph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 23:19

I don't know if this, or something similar, has been posted before, so I apologize in advance if it has. But I wanted to take the time to write a little bit how TLJ and Dreamfall have changed my views on the world.

I am not often affected by video games or books. But every now and then something just hits me at the right time in my life. Like sometimes I'm reading and I get to the end of the book and I just have an internal "wow" moment. Dreamfall was the first and only game that has ever done this to me. I remember I first got the game early last summer. And once I started playing it, I couldn't stop. I remember seeing it in my local comic book store for 4 dollars. I bought it thinking "well I hear this was good." I didn't even stop playing it. I may have paused it once to get a drink and eat but that's it. I mean, it didn't have the best graphics, and the gameplay wasn't top tier, but I absolutely loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved the history of it. I just loved the game.

After the ending, I just sat staring at the T.V. screen. All I could think was "There has to be a sequel." But lo and behold, there wasn't one. So I did the best thing, well let's see if there was a prequel, so I bought it and played it. Almost the same experience expect that I slept for four hours at one point. After I beat that game, I sat wondering how in the name of the Balance was this game so cheap? I went on Amazon and bought the game (Dreamfall) for PC (my first one was for Xbox original) at full price just to show my support.

But I needed more. I needed more of the Balance, of Arcadia, of Stark, of everything. I just loved how much it resonated with me. So I took the advice from Ragnar, and I looked up the Aboriginal Australain mythology and understanding of the Dreaming. I became fascinated by it. So I studied it for two months. When I wasn't studying in college or hanging out with my girlfriend, I was looking this up. I became drawn to it. Now, I've never been one for faith, or one for blinding science, but the mythology of Dreaming took the best of everything I believed in. So what did I do? I focused an entire 20 page paper on the understanding of what I call "Actuality." Actuality, as I described it and have come to understand, is the two essences of the All (the rational world that we all live in) and the Nothing (pure chaos incapable of being understood). This was like Stark (the rational world bound by science) and Arcadia (the world of magic where laws and limits did not exist). But even chaos contained some order, and vice versa. The rational world has dreams, hopes that can seem impossible, yet we'll never know. And the Nothing cannot be understood, because we can only "prove" what is rational. Like when Zoe tells Charlie she went to Arcadia, it seemed impossible, yet there was no evidence other than what was told to him. Yet he had faith.

And then there is the Balance. That which separates the All from the Nothing. The wall that separates order from chaos, the rational and the magical. The Balance is like the force in the Universe that separates the "good" from the "bad." When it comes to "praying," I find I pray like Cortez. As Cortez says from the TLJ (in response to April asking him what does he pray to), "To the Universe. To the Balance. To the rock in this floor and the air around us. To you and to myself." That is what I pray to. Not a deity, not something I can't understand. But instead to everything. I pray to the Balance that has given me and the Universe some sort of rational way of existing.

As a kid, I've always been attached to my dreams. I didn't exactly have an uplifting childhood (and I won't and don't care to get into details) but my dreams were always where I felt "most" at home. Something about them seemed "real." I mean, they had an impact on me. They made me wiser, they made me adventurous. Is that not what a "real" experience is? Playing Dreamfall was basically an awakening to me. It was a game that told me I wasn't alone in the world, that my dreams may be real.

But most important, the game introduced to me the Storytime. The place where all stories begin and end. What is my life if not a great story? We all belong to the Storytime. We all have a unique story, in a set place in time, with the company of others. The Storytime is what I envision heaven as. A place where stories begin and end.

Now, if you've read this far, I applaud you.

I wanted to say this for a while, but I never could find the right person or group to tell.

Maybe someone reading this will have a similar belief. Or maybe the total opposite reaction to me.

Most of all though, what I really want to say is thank you. To the developers, the creators, and every one of you on this forum, thanks. I'm not much a social person, and my beliefs are strange I guess, but they mean the world to me. And the opportunity to share them to a community of people who seem like kind, honest, and maybe just as strange as me people is the greatest thing I could ever ask for.

I wish I could of gone to JourneyCon last year, but I am saving every penny to make sure I can go to the next one. If I do one thing in my life, it would be to travel somewhere halfway across the world (for me at least) to pay tribute to the most awesome game developing group and community of players this world has ever seen.

As always, may the Balance be with each and every single one of you.

As a writer and actor / role-player, any story that's about the nature of stories itself resonates with me HARD. Especially if it's about reweaving fate and/or the universe through stories.

If you're not already familiar with The Neverending Story, Lady In the Water or the stories of Anansi the Spider, you owe it to yourself :)

#19 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:03

It's difficult for me to understand why I never commented in this thread. :blink:

Anywaaaaay...

Lately I've not been in the mood to play anything but casual games. Since the current one I'm playing doesn't require a lot of concentration, I've been watching 'Let's Play' vids on youtube. Got tired of watching games that even though they were good, involved lots of blasting away at either monsters or people that acted like monsters. So, decided to see if anyone had recently done a play-through of TLJ. I'd looked a few years ago but couldn't find any to my liking.

A few days ago I found someone that hadn't ever played and rather than complain about the overabundance of dialogue and the 'horrible' graphics that I've seen in other LP's, they were drawn in to the world of Stark and Arcadia.

Which finally led me to seek a thread where I could blather on about what I was feeling while going along on the journey with someone that didn't know anything about not only TLJ but Dreamfall as well. As far as whether TLJ actually changed me in any major way I'd have to say that while it didn't change me, it sent me on an emotional journey that continues even after seventeen years. Despite the countless times I've played or watched TLJ, it still has the ability to bring me to tears as well as laughter.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in watching the LP, here's the link:

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users