241 replies to this topic

#1 M.Gson

M.Gson

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 June 2016 - 23:21

So yeah, spoiler warning... I am slightly drunk, been longing forever...

Started playing book 5 and playing with anticipation and so much eagerness to learn what's gonna happen.

I(Zoe) goes to sleep and the screen flickers... a much older version of what seems to be April. Fuck it - I can't hold it in anymore.

I am litarally fighting tears right now... So much longing finally being fulfilled but at the same time that dreaful thought of impending closure.

Facing the hospital glitches..

So please, none of my "Real Life" friends know and relate.

Please share your thoughts and feelings as you go! Show me I'm not the only one!

• WorldsReunited likes this

#2 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:07

Just finished Book 5.

All I have to say is god damn.

I have mixed feelings about it. For more than one reason, but that will sink in later.

For now, it's mostly "god damn"

• Edreamer Jamil and Lee-m like this

#3 M.Gson

M.Gson

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:27

Already finished??

man, I can't wait.. at the same time dont want it to end

• Esther likes this

#4 Evilopoly90

Evilopoly90

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWherever my theatre company is touring

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:37

What do I even do with myself now? I waited ten years for a sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Here it is. The final episode of Dreamfall Chapters. It was brilliant, emotional in a way few games manage. And it all ends in a circle. In balance.

This better not be the end of everything however. There's still stories to tell and don't you dare tell me April Ryan's story is finished. There has to be something more. The War of the Balance? Saga's journey,  Just give me something. One of the kickstarter rewards was a novel so why not put something in that? Please? I'll be fine with just a book, even if you can't do the Longest Journey Home.

• Rowan37, jestas, Esther and 1 other like this

Trainee Actor, Proud fanboy and obsessive stal- uh, I mean appreciator of Red Thread Game

Follow my Twitter to see my attempts to make every Celebrity roll SAN at least once!

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:08

One thing I will say is, that last book really did do everything to answer all questions... some I wasn't expecting answers to.

There are obvious pacing issues etc... but lets just leave that aside.

It didn't address much of the kin stuff however, cortez... and queeny did she get forgotten ? or was that down to my choices ?

...I need another beer... and another 10 years to recover...

• Shifterdreamer, Crowboy, Teodmar and 2 others like this

#6 Jules

Jules

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:41

I'm not ashamed to admit it, i shed a few tears a couple of times during my play through :(

Spoiler

• wandrew, Rowan37 and Esther like this

#7 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:47

Just finished, and I'm just really emotional. I'm quite glad that our normal bedtime is 9pm and therefore the gentleman took himself off hours ago, cause I did at one specific moment gasp in horror and immediately burst into tears, only to get a grip so I could keep playing and have to take a tearful coffee break. I've really struggled to explain to him how much this means to me. This story is a little under 17 years of my life, it's a hugely emotional and sentimental thing for me. I can't even compare it to a book or a movie, because you are actively a part of games and playing a game gives you a love of characters no book or movie could ever manage. TLJ is such a huge part of my childhood that it's the story by which I judge all stories. I don't think anything can ever even get close to TLJ in that regard, but DFC is the closest anything has gotten so far.

And I can already hear the complaints people will make, but I don't really care and RTG shouldn't either. I'm extremely sad that this is over, but in a very satisfied sort of way and I really can't wait to see what you do next.

Lee-m,

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, popcorngal and 9 others like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#8 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:48

No game has ever made me feel so many emotions in one go, I was laughing, gasping, shed some tears. Absolutely phenomenal job from RTG's, they literally managed to bring closure to everything beautifully.

The moment the song from Dreamfall TLJ started playing I completely lost it since I started with that one, just goddamn so many feels. ;_; i'll type more later..

• popcorngal, NeilClaimer, Rowan37 and 1 other like this

jHevh80.jpg

#9 DevilDoll

DevilDoll

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:53

Ugh, no. Just no.

That moment when
Spoiler
!!!

I am not generally a crying person. Oh, sure, I shed some tears to video games or movies once in a while, but you know, pretty tears! The ones that just drips slowly from your eyes, in a pretty movie-way. This just destroyed me.

I took a step back from my pc and just started bawling! Unstoppable, cant breathe, snot everywhere fucking crying my hearth out. That shit hurt! Deep!

I retreated to the couch to sob it out and my bf thouht something was seriously wrong with me.

Havent even finished the book yet. Im traumatized.
  • popcorngal, khh and Mystic like this

Ayd f'haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde

#10 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:53

I'd like to add to this, but I can't. I just don't have any feelings at the moment.

I guess I'll have to play it again later when I'm feeling better.

Edit:

After reading pretty much everyone cried while playing, I swear it makes me feel like a robot or something, I didn't. =/

• Mr Moo and pink75 like this

--Emmo

#11 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:05

That very last chapter was everything we were hoping for and asking for after that merciless bunch of cliffhangers ten years ago. Instead of it, with Chapter we got so much more - another story and another journey. Now I shudder to think that it could've been much shorter - without Saga and probably without a whole bunch of other amazing characters and storylines.

The ending itself fits everything together perfectly.

Spoiler

Of course it raises new questions.

Spoiler
But those have nothing to do with this particular story, as promised.

Thank you, Ragnar and Red Thread. Thank you for everything.

• Edreamer Jamil, Lee-m, Ceres and 6 others like this

#12 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:09

Well, I enjoyed the book.

I liked that we got closure to most of the important things. Some other things that were left open

Spoiler
I'm fine with.

I think I'll let things settle and maybe post something more elaborate in a few days

#13 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:18

Just finished it and while finishing up Zoes story and still leaving it open for future stories in this universe, I am very happy I backed this project reaction below :)

dhMeAzK.gif

• Mr Moo, Teodmar, Mystic and 1 other like this

#14 SimonCle

SimonCle

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:27

I loved it!

Plotwise, a lot of the mysteries were left mysterious, but that's fine by me. The important threads were resolved, and the writers weren't tempted to change the outcome, just because people had guessed it a long time ago (which I see as a very good thing).
The resolution to the whole Saga storyline was awesome (so much dialog for objects in that house!).
Emotionally I love the most of the experience.

As a side note: I'm not usually a big Crow fan, but a lot of his interactions with Kian were hilarious to me, and his part in plot was pretty cool.

• Teodmar likes this

#15 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:59

There are few things I don't understand, we didn't really meet Vagabond at the end of our journey? And whatever happened to Blue Kin? White mentioned that they were all silent? Come to think of it, whatever happened to White? She was there at the beginning with Saga?

There were some implications with Cortez, that didn't get fully explained. So Cortez was evil all along? Another 10 year worth of theories my friends. :D

#16 Demoniko

Demoniko

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:07

Well, I enjoyed the book.

I liked that we got closure to most of the important things. Some other things that were left open

Spoiler
I'm fine with.

I think I'll let things settle and maybe post something more elaborate in a few days

One thing I will say is, that last book really did do everything to answer all questions... some I wasn't expecting answers to.

There are obvious pacing issues etc... but lets just leave that aside.

It didn't address much of the kin stuff however, cortez... and queeny did she get forgotten ? or was that down to my choices ?

...I need another beer... and another 10 years to recover...

What are you talking about?

Spoiler

While true, there are still some questions, but this one is not one of them.

#17 Tamahome

Tamahome

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:11

There are few things I don't understand, we didn't really meet Vagabond at the end of our journey? And whatever happened to Blue Kin? White mentioned that they were all silent? Come to think of it, whatever happened to White? She was there at the beginning with Saga?

There were some implications with Cortez, that didn't get fully explained. So Cortez was evil all along? Another 10 year worth of theories my friends. :D

The Vagabond thing is a mystery to me too, perhaps what he meant is that they'll meet when Zoe dies, which we know she didn't. The kin were left as mystery, but it's clear that Galath was a kin, as he returned to the stars after finishing his writings about war of the balance. Cortez was not evil, undreaming was not evil it was just a force, Brian after crossing to Arcadia was evil.

• Mr Moo likes this

#18 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:12

Emmote, I didn't cry either. I almost never cry at fictional things. Crying to me has always been a stress reaction and fiction doesn't stress me out (with a few exceptions). People calling others heartless for not crying at films/TV/books/video games are just judging them before they can be judged for crying...defensive. ;)

But I never judge those who cry. Cry it out! Nothing to be ashamed of. Many people cry at movies and this is a realllllly long, interactive movie. :)

I thought it was a good finale overall. I think with Queenie,

Spoiler

#19 Sithoid

Sithoid

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:14

There are few things I don't understand, we didn't really meet Vagabond at the end of our journey?

If you are referring to the original Dreamfall finale, I believe it was shown chronologically: we did really meet him, but it was before (or at the very beginning of) Chapters. Or did you mean something else?

it's pretty clear in the epilogue

Wow. How did you figure that out? I must've missed some clues - I didn't click everything in the room that time. Makes sense now that you mention it:

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil and Oktalist like this

#20 Asterdw

Asterdw

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:15

Just finished, and it feels like my brain has received like my brain has received so much emotional stimulation that it's now sort of just 'stuck in an infinite loop'. Emotional BSOD, if you will. 

I feel so much all at once that I don't even know where to start.  Such a brilliant resolution (given the constraints), so may fascinating, but not frustrating, questions still open.  I am so glad to have contributed to funding this game in however small a way I could.  I need time to process, but:

1.  There were many good and even great bits of this chapter and in the ending specifically.  But I have to say that the very last scene/area of the game in

Spoiler
was just pure storytelling perfection.  The tone, the mood, the way in which elements of the setting and the events themselves both provided closure and advanced world-building was just amazing. I genuinely have no words to describe how brilliant I thought that whole sequence was, and how clever and effective 
Spoiler

2. In general, I am glad that from beginning to the end this series has somehow managed to masterfully invoke such a deep emotional connection with the characters and events, and also such a profound sense of wonder, mystery and endless possibilities about the world as a whole. I can't quite understand why it has been so effective where so many other games fail, but I applaud RTD for what they've accomplished. 

3. A genuinely minor niggle that somehow really stuck out: it might be just me, but it was quite jarring

Spoiler

In any case, the ending is fantastic, and I am deeply grateful to the RTD for making Dreamfall Chapters such a wonderful experience. 

• Edreamer Jamil, NeilClaimer, Rowan37 and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users