• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 14:57

I had no technical problems with book 1 to 4, but book 5 doesn't play well from the beginning. The voice synchronisation is off, Movements don't run smoothly but in a jerky motion. I can play the game until Kian leaves the Rooster and Kitten, then loading takes about 10 minutes or more. I can hear the background noises, but the screen stays black. When Kian finally appears t,he game gets completely stuck. I reinstalled the game, but the problem remains the same. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 15:34

Sorry to hear you're having issues Pepijn. That is very odd. 

We should be able to help you troubleshoot this, but some more information might be helpful.

Could you give us your system specs? Also, if you could upload your output log, that would be helpful. 

I'm just going to snag this from the FAQ if you don't know where to find that file:

You can find the game's output log in the location that the game is installed in a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data". For Steam users, this can usually be found in your Steam installation folder under "...\SteamApps\common\Dreamfall Chapters". In the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder, the output log file is called "output_log.txt".

For Mac users, the log can be found by opening the Console. It should be located under the "Unity"-section, called "Player.log". You can copy/paste the contents to a .rtf or .txt file and add it as an attachment in your email/forum post.

Linux users should find the game's log file in this location: ~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/Player.log

You can attach that file to a post by hitting "More Reply Options" in the post box and then using the attachment feature at the bottom of the text box that appears on the next page.

Also possibly useful: Where did you buy the game (Steam, GOG, etc.)? I know you said you reinstalled, but if you're on steam you can try verifying the game cache. If you downloaded it from GOG or similar, you may also want to redownload the file and then reinstall on the off chance something got corrupted in the downloaded file. 

• Vainamoinen likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 22:13

Thanks for the info. 

Nothing is immediately jumping out at me in the file, but hopefully someone a bit more tech savvy than I am can hop in here with some suggestions soon. 

#4 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:46

I have the same exact problem: the game freezes in Book 5 when Kian exits the Rooster and Kitten. I didn't have any problems with Books 1 to 4. I bought the game on gog.com, but haven't been able to play Book 5 ever since it came out months ago. At least one other person who bought the game on gog.com has had the same exact problem as me (the game freezes at this particular moment) and we both reported this on the gog forums. I figured it may be related to that Unity problem other people mentioned?

I have an iMac from 2014, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 , 16GB. I've reinstalled the game a couple of time to make sure it was not user error, but the problem still occurs every time, exactly at the same spot in the game.

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2016 - 20:08

I'm sorry you guys are having troubles. I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world, so I was kind of hoping that someone from RTG might pop in or that one of our other more tech savvy members would chime in with something. 

Betweenthebees - If you could also post your output log, that would be useful. 

It's possible that these are issues RTG is hoping to address in the patch they're currently working on. I know there are a few bugs that people have been waiting on a fix for. 

I feel like I remember something about a crash/freeze at the Rooster and Kitten before, but I think that was a different book. I'll see if I can find anything, though, in case there's some useful suggestions. 

#6 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 20:27

I took a look at it, and while I don't really see anything wrong, I did notice that this might be the wrong output file or something.  The actions and scenes it's describing seem to relate to the first interlude, the one with baby Saga.  There is no mention of Kian or the Rooster and Kitten.

Try going back and replay the part where it fails, then give us that output file.  Make sure the file has the correct date and time, there may be more than one.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#7 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 22:24

I bought the game through Steam. The specifications are Windows 7, 64 bits and 4,00GB RAM intel core i5-2410M CPU. I've removed the output log, I've posted earlier, after checking it and you're right, it was from book one. I replayed book five untill Kian leaves the Rooster and the Kitten, with the same results; game got stuck. But I can't find the output log. I've looked everywhere I can think of and there is no output log related to book five.

#8 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:02

I bought the game through Steam. The specifications are Windows 7, 64 bits and 4,00GB RAM intel core i5-2410M CPU. I've removed the output log, I've posted earlier, after checking it and you're right, it was from book one. I replayed book five untill Kian leaves the Rooster and the Kitten, with the same results; game got stuck. But I can't find the output log. I've looked everywhere I can think of and there is no output log related to book five.

It's the same file. It gets overwritten every time you play. If you ran into the problem last time you played and didn't play after that, the file should have the relevant info.

#9 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:12

I replayed leaving the Rooster and the Kitten until the game loads for another chapter. The logo stops turning after some time and with the screen still black, background noises start. After a few minutes Kian appears, the logo and 'Dreamfall Chapters' title still visible, but there's no movement. Every few minutes the game skips to another screenshot. I pressed Escape and waited for a few minutes, the colors turned into black and white, but (and this really creeped me out!) Kian,'s head slowly moves forward (chin down) and disappears! it reappears from the back making a 360 degree turn. Again and again. This can't be good.

I've attached the output log again, but I cannot find any info on book five. 

It's very frustrating after nearly a few decades not being able to finish the saga. 

Attached Files

#10 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 14:44

Sorry if you've already answered that and I missed it, but have you tried this?

[...] if you're on steam you can try verifying the game cache.

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 17:49

Yeah, verifying the cache is probably a good call. I'm a bit confused, though. I don't know where your previous post with the output log went, but your new post looks like the same log as before. 

#12 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 23:03

Well. there was a difference of opinion about the output log I posted, so I played the last bit again until 

Kian lost his head and posted that, but I don't see much difference in the output logs. But I found this. Can anyone check this out? Maybe its not relevant.

Attached Files

#13 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 23:31

I missed the part in the first output log you posted that mentioned Baby Saga, etc, so I didn't realize it was clearly from the beginning of the game. 

This log you just posted is different, though, and it does look like there's maybe something going on there. (Again, though, I just want to be clear that I'm 100% not an expert, so this is my untrained eyes looking at it.)

Again, just to be 100% sure, can you verify the integrity of your game cache? You should be able to do this by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, hitting "Properties," selecting the "Local Files" tab, and then clicking "Verify Integrity of Game Cache." 

I'm not 100% sure that's the issue, but it'll help rule a few things out. 

#14 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:50

Pepijn

From looking at your logs while comparing to mine, I can try to make some assumptions.

Mine says

Initialize engine version: 5.3.5p2 (3103edb99077)

Yours (output_log Dreamfall Chapters 7-11.txt) say

Initialize engine version: 4.5.5p2 (e8c16948b8cc)

and it continues with

Failed to initialize Steam: C:/Users/Ion/Documents/chapters/DreamfallChaptersWin_x86/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Plugins/CSteamworks.dll

I own the Steam version, and mine doesn't mention Steam in the output.log at all. The Steam version does however require Steam to work. The fact that yours continues to run without connecting to Steam, and seems to be the wrong game engine version, makes me conclude that you have an old and outdated game version, which also seems to contain a Steam crack. If that is the case, then we can't assist you. The game is for sale from Steam, GoG and Humble Store (DRM free, or Steam code).

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Indrid Cold like this

#15 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 November 2016 - 16:24

I just want to add that Dreamfall Chapters is usually is 50%-75% off at least twice a year at the stores mentioned. Especially around Christmas and other holiday periods. :)

#16 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:59

So sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I can't seem to find the output log for the game. I found instructions online on how to find it on Steam, but I myself bought the game on gog.com. I'm on Mac. Can someone direct me to the correct folder? Even a search for the output log file comes up empty.

My game still crashes in Book 5 when Kian exits the inn. I had no problem playing the game before that.

#17 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:27

To quote the FAQ

For Mac users, the log can be found by opening the Console. It should be located under the "Unity"-section, called "Player.log". You can copy/paste the contents to a .rtf or .txt file and add it as an attachment in your email/forum post.

Unsure why they used a different name for the log on Mac. :blink:

#18 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:18

To Mr.Moo. I do believe I played all the chapters without being connected to Steam, so searching for the contence in the Steam cache seems redundant. Can I still connect to Steam this late in the game and what do you mean by an "old and outdated game version"? If book 5 can't be fixed then I might have to buy a new game. Thanks for mentioning the Christmas sale.

#19 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 November 2016 - 13:16

To Mr.Moo. I do believe I played all the chapters without being connected to Steam, so searching for the contence in the Steam cache seems redundant. Can I still connect to Steam this late in the game and what do you mean by an "old and outdated game version"? If book 5 can't be fixed then I might have to buy a new game. Thanks for mentioning the Christmas sale.

We would normally not assume you play a pirated game. For the legit Steam version, verifying the integrity of the Steam cache does verify that no downloaded game file is corrupted.

What I mean by an "old and outdated game version" is that your game isn't the latest (current) game version, it is an old one. As it is old, it is past it's use date - so outdated. If you have any issue with an old version of any game, then first advice would always be to use the latest version. I'm not sure how to explain this any other way really.

The only fix we can suggest really is to buy a legit and updated game. As long as you buy the game, at whichever store, your save games should work fine, and book 5 should work. And you support the developers, which I think is a good thing.  :)

• Indrid Cold likes this

#20 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 15:13

I think you might misunderstood what I was saying: Of course I'm playing a legit game which I bought through the Red Thread games website through the Humble store late 2014 when it first came out. So how you come to the conclusion that it's an old game version is beyond me, because I downloaded Book five early september. But I started book one on a Windows Vista computer, and activated my Steam key on there. But the game didn't play well on Vista so I changed to another computer but didn't install Steam there. I don't know why book five doesn't work when I had no problem with the other chapters, but it is not a question of an illegal game. Others seem to have the same problem. 

Betweenthebees says: I have the same exact problem: the game freezes in Book 5 when Kian exits the Rooster and Kitten. I didn't have any problems with Books 1 to 4. I bought the game on gog.com, but haven't been able to play Book 5 ever since it came out months ago. At least one other person who bought the game on gog.com has had the same exact problem as me (the game freezes at this particular moment) and we both reported this on the gog forums. I figured it may be related to that Unity problem other people mentioned?

I appreciate any suggestions. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users