33 replies to this topic

#21 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 15:34

Could the Humble edition be showing the wrong version number? Someone else with that edition will have to verify that...

Actually, is it possible that you've installed it in two different places and the log file you've been posting is not from the same place you're running it from? That would explain both the version number discrepancy and why the file only shows book 1 data. Try to see where the shortcut you use to run the game is pointing to.

• Mr Moo likes this

#22 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 November 2016 - 17:10

I think you might misunderstood what I was saying: Of course I'm playing a legit game which I bought through the Red Thread games website through the Humble store late 2014 when it first came out. So how you come to the conclusion that it's an old game version is beyond me, because I downloaded Book five early september. But I started book one on a Windows Vista computer, and activated my Steam key on there. But the game didn't play well on Vista so I changed to another computer but didn't install Steam there. I don't know why book five doesn't work when I had no problem with the other chapters, but it is not a question of an illegal game. Others seem to have the same problem. 

I appreciate any suggestions. 

OK, my reading comprehension is bad today.

So, when you don't use Steam, how did you install the game?

Is it the DRM free Humble Store release?

If yes, did you re-download the game from Humble Store?

Did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit release?

I can't download 7.7GB from Humble Store just to see which version number it logs, or if it logs any Steam errors.

And, by the way, why not install Steam, and use the Steam release? 

Edited by Mr Moo, 09 November 2016 - 17:22.

#23 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 19:33

To quote the FAQ

For Mac users, the log can be found by opening the Console. It should be located under the "Unity"-section, called "Player.log". You can copy/paste the contents to a .rtf or .txt file and add it as an attachment in your email/forum post.

Unsure why they used a different name for the log on Mac. :blink:

Thanks for your help! Here is my log. My game still crashes in Chapter 5 when Kian exits the Rooster and Kitten. I had no problem playing the game before that, and have tried reinstalling a few times. I am on Mac and have the latest version of the game. I bought the game at gog.com.

Any help would be appreciated! I first played "The Longest Journey" when it first came out over 15 years ago - so naturally, I am very eager to finish the story ;)

Attached Files

#24 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 18:12

Any news on this? I still can't play the game past the part in Book 5 when Kian exits the Rooster and Kitten. Is this the same problem as the Unity bug other people have reported?

#25 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,931 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 November 2016 - 17:17

Sorry, betweenthebees. I can't really tell what's going on in your log. I was hoping someone else would respond or again...that RTG would pop in here. I think they've been very busy lately as they haven't been around as much. 

Going to bump this and try poking a few people who might have some ideas. Sorry we haven't been more helpful. :(

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#26 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:27

Sorry, I've been a bit distracted by some recent events, and I completely forgot about this.  Again sorry.  Although I'm surprised Morten hasn't chimed in yet.

Can't say for certain, but are you sure this is the entire log?  Because it looks like the game never actually starts.  Usually we see notes about loading the savegame, and reports on any actions you take.  But all I see it playing the opening titles, and then nothing else.

I did see this: 

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver init failed .

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dylib.

Is Steam running? Because pretty much right after that the log stops.

#27 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 6,993 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:41

@betweenthebees I believe the log is reset each time you open the game, so make sure you experience the problem in the latest session before grabbing the log. Otherwise I can't see anything strange in the log, and I don't find it unexpected that the game reports it's unable to connect to Steam when you're using the GOG version of the game.

@Pepijn It look like you're running the 32-bit version of the game (x86). If you have a 64-bit version of the OS it might be worth it to download the 64-bit version of the game. The 32-bit version had to make certain compromises.

You can check if you have a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows by hitting the Windows key and the Pause|Break key on your keyboard simultaneously (or right clicking on My Computer/This PC and choosing properties). It'll say in the System type field.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#28 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 21:40

Sorry for the delay. I made sure to experience the crash in Book 5 and I've included the output log. The game completely freeze in Book 5 after Kian exit the Rooster and Kitten (I can hear the music playing, but the screen is frozen along with the characters.) I am on an iMac from 2014, 3.2GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB. I bought the game on gog.com

Attached Files

#29 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 6,993 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 November 2016 - 16:49

Hmm, I can't see anything suspicious in your logs. The issue and the way you describe it reminds me of this old one, your issue seems different in nature

I'm not sure what to suggest you try next. You've already tried reinstalling, so it's not caused by a corrupt file. Is updating drivers a thing you do manually on Macs? If so I'd consider making sure the graphics driver was the latest version.

If not it's possible you may have to wait for the next patch to be released. I don't know when a patch will be released, though I am pretty certain there should be at least one more patch for the game forthcoming.

April Ryan is my friend,

#30 Pepijn

Pepijn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:16

@MRMoo How did I install the game? I downloaded the game via Humblebundle as a bittorrent (@khh 64bit version) I did not use Steam out of ignorance, It's the first game I played since a long time that doesn't involve discs, but I didn't have any problems playing book 1-4. 

@IndridCold: I didn't play the game from two different places, but I did downloaded the updated book 1 from another place assuming I was re-download book 5, which obviously could not. 

I emailed Red Thread  months ago and got no reply. So now I took MrMoo's advice and bought the game again through Steam's Christmas sale.

Now I'm going to install the game via Steam. Can I continue the game with book 5 or do I have to start all over again? And/or do I have to remove all previous downloads, because I don't want to lose all my previous choices? 

#31 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 December 2016 - 13:21

@MRMoo How did I install the game? I downloaded the game via Humblebundle as a bittorrent (@khh 64bit version) I did not use Steam out of ignorance, It's the first game I played since a long time that doesn't involve discs, but I didn't have any problems playing book 1-4.
@IndridCold: I didn't play the game from two different places, but I did downloaded the updated book 1 from another place assuming I was re-download book 5, which obviously could not.

I emailed Red Thread months ago and got no reply. So now I took MrMoo's advice and bought the game again through Steam's Christmas sale.

Now I'm going to install the game via Steam. Can I continue the game with book 5 or do I have to start all over again? And/or do I have to remove all previous downloads, because I don't want to lose all my previous choices?

As long as you start the game from within steam, the other game installs won't interfere. As far as I know, save games are the same (and in the same place) between humble bundle and steam, so there shouldn't be a problem to continue.
  • khh likes this

#32 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 6,993 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:33

Yeah, there shouldn't be any problems having the saves carry over.

April Ryan is my friend,

#33 betweenthebees

betweenthebees

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 16:18

Months and months after the release of the last chapter, and I'm still unable to finish the game I started 17 years ago... Any news on the patch? Other people seem to have solved the problem by upgrading or buying the game again, but my computer is only a year old (so I don't need an upgrade), and I don't think it's fair that I should have to buy the game for the 2nd time (I bought it on gog.com.) Do you guys have any solutions for me?

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 6,993 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:27

There was some news on this in the latest Kickstarter update. That's all we know though.

April Ryan is my friend,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users