#1 Philip

Philip

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKarlsruhe, Germany

Posted 18 December 2016 - 22:19

I just tried to log in with my usual credentials (direct username an password, not facebook) and was greeted by the message

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!
[#10193]

We encountered a problem processing your login request. Please try again.

Need Help?

I seem to be in a semi-logged-in state now:

• When I browse some of the forums or sub-forums, I seem to be logged in. As in: The topmost bar shows my name and profile picture and a "sign out" button, and I can write things (proof: this post).
  • When I'm on the "front page" (http://redthreadgames.com/forum/), I don't seem to be logged in: The topmost bar shows the buttons to "Sign in" and "Create account", and I can't see the subforums that are hidden by default ("Red Thread Games Community" > "Games Discussion" and "Off-Topic").

Help?

#2 Philip

Philip

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 22:22

I just deleted my cookies from RTG, but it didn't help. Same symptoms as above (which are annoying, but not really dramatic).

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 18 December 2016 - 22:30

Been happening to me for ages. Some threads work ok, others not. My solution is just to give up and go look at something else.

#4 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 18 December 2016 - 22:56

happened to me just now for the first time!

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 23:24

The only problem that I have really encountered is that it doesn't that I'm logged in on the main page, but that's it. If I try to log in while being logged in, I of course get an error message like the one above.

Essentially, I click on "View new content" and everything is fine. :mellow:

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

#6 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 18 December 2016 - 23:57

Lately I've had the same problems, but with the "view new content" page...

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#7 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:44

Yeah, I've been having more and more issues with this. Usually just clicking "Red Thread Games Community" at the top of the page fixes it.  However, the other day I wanted to respond to a thread and couldn't because I wasn't logged in.  Just on that thread.  All the other threads seemed to work just fine.

#8 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:38

This has been happening for months now. When you have this problem, add a parameter to the end of the URL. For example, I've been using the following link to view the main page when this happens: http://redthreadgame...forum/blah=blah Thanks to khh for this fix.

• khh and Philip like this

#9 Philip

Philip

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 00:53

Thanks bongboy! Appending some parameters works for me, too. Who said that computers were logical things? ;)

• bongboy likes this

#10 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2016 - 13:38

The main difference seems to be in the Set-Cookie HTTP header in the response.  A straight up request to http://redthreadgames.com/forum/ gives me this header:

Set-Cookie:"session_id=88daf40538718910bb62f30715fed07c; path=/; httponly"

But if I request http://redthreadgame...orum/?blah=blah the header is

Set-Cookie:"member_id=7092; expires=Wed, 20-Dec-2017 12:32:19 GMT; Max-Age=31536000; path=/; httponly {elided personal details}

#11 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:01

Yeah I noticed this ages ago. Thanks for the fix!

#12 Philip

Philip

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 16:22

Just going to leave this here in case anybody wants to troubleshoot at some point: I logged in from a different machine just now, and it worked like a charm (without any manually added extra parameters). So if the forum software was not updated since I started this thread, the problem is not (only) server-side...

Both PCs run on Win7 with Firefox in one of the latest versions (49.0.2 - 50.1.0 all worked on the PC I'm using atm).

#13 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2016 - 17:02

So if the forum software was not updated since I started this thread, the problem is not (only) server-side...

Pretty sure it is.  The browser is supposed to return any cookies with every request, but the server needs to send those cookies in the first place.

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,931 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 17:21

The forum software hasn't updated, but it's been an intermittent issue. I've had it happen on every machine that I usually access the forum from, but it doesn't always happen. Like yesterday it did it for about an hour and then suddenly was fine. So. 

I'm not sure what the solution is, but RTG needs to look into it. I know we've mentioned the timeouts and other issues to Morten the last time we had the opportunity. So. Hopefully the forum issues are on their radar. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#15 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:25

I think Putin might be jamming their radar...
  • bongboy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users