7 replies to this topic

#1 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 23:46

It occurred to me the other day that Ferdows should probably have been a woman, being an Azadi in an intellectual role and everything.

#2 simondarkens

simondarkens

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:05

Only the authority were female, It is perfectly normal for an engineer to be a male. Plus we already  have Helena Chang in the same game and countless other strong female characters.

#3 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:24

Only the authority were female, It is perfectly normal for an engineer to be a male.

Good point about the authority, but it's not like we know other engineers to tell what's normal for them in Azadi society.

Plus we already  have Helena Chang in the same game and countless other strong female characters.

Irrelevant; this is an out-of-universe reason.

#4 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 December 2016 - 14:37

Even though an engineer is an intellectual role, we don't know how highly it ranks in Azadi culture. It is likely seen as equivalent to being a builder, or another practical role, since it is not religious. That's my take on it, anyway.

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and Indrid Cold like this

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,811 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 16:22

Even though an engineer is an intellectual role, we don't know how highly it ranks in Azadi culture. It is likely seen as equivalent to being a builder, or another practical role, since it is not religious. That's my take on it, anyway.

Yeah, this was my interpretation. He didn't seem to be terribly high ranking, and he seemed to be working with the military.

• Vainamoinen, Riaise and Indrid Cold like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 21 December 2016 - 19:20

Kian was an apostle: an individual with the authority to move entire regiments of guards to pursue and kill only one individual.
Yet he's a man.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,811 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 19:52

Kian was an apostle: an individual with the authority to move entire regiments of guards to pursue and kill only one individual.
Yet he's a man.

Yeah, but the Apostle is sort of a weird crossover role between religion and military. My assumption, since it was clear that Kian came up through the military, was that the role of Apostle was more or less "The Goddess's Chosen Elite Soldier." It's a military honorific tied to the religious culture of the people. With Ferdows, it's not a question of rank so much as it's a question of the gender segregation in the culture. 

(Though, come to think of it, something I've also wondered was this notion of him being THE Apostle. I had always kind of assumed it was a role that was passed from person to person and there was only one Apostle at any given time...hence the singularity. But the way his #1 Fangirl talked about him made me reconsider that a bit. Though she was also fanatical and not necessarily reliable.)

Kian's implication in the optional scene with Likho (...I think that's where it was...) was that women were better suited to politics and high ranking religious roles...and possibly academics? There tends to be overlap there. Whereas men were more military, labor, etc. At least in traditional Azadi culture. (There's a whole conversation to have here that would be fascinating.) 

But yeah. I believe that the Azadi military is mostly (if not entirely) men, but you need more than just swordsmen and fighters to make a military function. Which is, I believe, where Ferdows fits in. If he's working with the military, it might be that in Azadi culture a woman couldn't take on that role for that reason. 

• LootHunter likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:08

But yeah. I believe that the Azadi military is mostly (if not entirely) men, but you need more than just swordsmen and fighters to make a military function. Which is, I believe, where Ferdows fits in. If he's working with the military, it might be that in Azadi culture a woman couldn't take on that role for that reason. 

No: Ferdows was not helping the army, he was specifically assigned to work on the Dreams machine (well: part of it).
When playing the game I actually thought he was linked to the science division....where, by the way, there is a sister working as a "doctor" and not as a politician.

I now think it's likely the prophet hand-picked Ferdow to put him on the machine...

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users