#1 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 15:59

"Things Take Time": January 2017 update

ea6624de975d9f3e0fa8fcba528b09d1_origina

The new key art for the console versions.

Happy New Year, dreamers!

First off, we’d like to apologise for the long silence. The team was kept busy with tight

milestones towards the end of 2016.

As 2017 boots up, however, we can finally draw back the curtain on what we’ve been

working on since last summer.

You may have heard, but in case you missed the announcement: Dreamfall Chapters is

coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in an enhanced special edition on March 24th!

Our publishing partner Deep Silver is releasing the complete game both physically and

digitally — here’s what the cover looks like:

5d1f4a09587b7b31e6e806fe9991628c_origina

(You should also check out Deep Silver’s announcement trailer for PlayStation 4.)

For the PC/Mac/Linux folks — our backers and existing customers — we’ll be releasing

a new and updated version of the game (‘The Final Cut’) to coincide with the console

release.

We’re very excited about this opportunity to revisit Chapters one final time. There are

several improvements and changes we’ve wanted to make for years — along with

requests and suggestions from our players and community — and we finally have the

time and resources to address them.

So what’s new? There are changes to character art and animations, music, sound-

effects, shaders, lighting — and gameplay. We’ll be talking specifics soon, and we’ll

have more on the console enhancements and special features before March 24th.

Speaking of “soon”: back in September we made some promises that we haven’t

delivered on — yet. We’ve had a number of staffing challenges, particularly in project

management and QA; these have been solved, but we’re way behind schedule on two

patches.

The first is the long-awaited German language patch. We received the final voice overs

for books four and five in November, and we’ve been working to integrate these into a

larger patch, which also contains bug fixes and optimisations. This patch is still in QA,

but it won’t be long now.

The second is what we’re calling the ‘benefactors patch’. This update contains missing

in-game rewards — including the town crier and Benefactor’s Wall in Marcuria — and

it’s next on our schedule.

The third patch is the big one — the aforementioned ‘The Final Cut’ — which upgrades

the game to match the console versions. This version will also be included in the

Kickstarter boxes scheduled to ship close to the release of the console versions along

with the remaining physical rewards.

Things Take Time — almost four years now — but we haven’t left Dreamfall Chapters

behind. Far from it! We’re still very much focused on completing the journey in a way

we can all be proud of.

One last thing: we know there’s been some issues with our website and forum, both in

terms of performance and support, and we plan to address this soon. We haven’t had

the resources to make the necessary changes, but it’s on top of our list. Your patience,

as always, is very much appreciated.

Once again, we want to thank all of you for making this possible. When our journey

began four years ago, we had no idea where it would take us — and we’re grateful for

having had this amazing opportunity. Wherever Red Thread goes next, it’s because of

your support.

Thanks for reading!

Team RTG

• Vainamoinen, khh, Indrid Cold and 6 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:28

It's a good update. A few more "soons" that I'd like, but we got at least a few confirmations...
We now know for sure they changed "character art", so that girl on the left of the cover is most likely Hanna (or other) redesigned.
The Final Cut will be released along with the console version on March 24th. And it will be available for nonbackers customers too. (yay)
Physical rewards are coming around that time in March too.

I can't wait to get more details on the changes made, both artistically and story-wise. :)
  • Indrid Cold likes this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#3 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:36

For the PC/Mac/Linux folks — our backers and existing customers — we’ll be releasing a new and updated version of the game (‘The Final Cut’) to coincide with the consolerelease.

What a surprise! :P :P

So what’s new? There are changes to character art and animations, music, sound effects, shaders, lighting — and gameplay.

More puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles more puzzles ...

Apart from that... it seems obvious now that Hanna is getting that 100% overhaul (very welcome, though sadly she seems to lose a little too much weight in the process), and that they're indeed trying to remove duplicate music from key scenes. Very worthy, all of it. I'm just sad that the forest hub remains cut. But just adding it without things to do and see would of course also not have been sensible, so this may just have been too much work. :mellow:

The first is the long-awaited German language patch [...] it won’t be long now.

Oooookay, we've heard THAT before. I'm not spreading the good news this time until it happened. :P

The third patch is the big one — the aforementioned ‘The Final Cut’ — which upgrades the game to match the console versions. This version will also be included in the Kickstarter boxes scheduled to ship close to the release of the console versions along with the remaining physical rewards.

Wow, that sounds like a concrete time frame. I could live with the boxed version arriving March 24th!

One last thing: we know there’s been some issues with our website and forum, both in terms of performance and support, and we plan to address this soon. We haven’t hadthe resources to make the necessary changes, but it’s on top of our list.

Yes, please, allocate the manpower... mortenpower... whatever. The F.E.R.D.O.W.S. members and the new community members come March 24th will be thankful for it. :)

• MisterMetropolis, Indrid Cold, debro and 1 other like this

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

#4 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:38

and gameplay

oh god....deep silver didn't demand you guys add combat did they? Are you adding combat?

• Insulin likes this

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:42

Some clarifications / comments from RTG on the Kickstarter Comments that may be of interest: 

• "There's no planned physical release on PC – only on console – and the Kickstarter editions are unique. They won't be available for anyone except backers."
  • "There will unfortunately not be a physical console release for the U.S. due to the market there – it's mostly digital now. And PC/Mac will remain digital only, except for the boxes we're shipping to backers."

That latter point seems interesting to me. I was unaware that was a thing. Most console gamers I know still opt for physical copies where possible. Though, you know...Anecdotal evidence is not indicative of broad statistics. I assumed that's where things were headed, I just didn't realize we were already there. 

oh god....deep silver didn't demand you guys add combat did they? Are you adding combat?

Not sure if you're joking or not...?

I don't think there's any reason to assume that. O.o They've been saying they were going to make updates to the gameplay since they said they were going back and making changes. They already overhauled the gameplay in Book One and combat had nothing to do with it. 

On that note - 

Admittedly, I'm a little uneasy about some of the possible changes at this point. If we're being entirely honest. I have a lot of mixed feelings. Trying to stay cautiously optimistic, though. 

• Vainamoinen, khh, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:47

That latter point seems interesting to me. I was unaware that was a thing. Most console gamers I know still opt for physical copies where possible. Though, you know...Anecdotal evidence is not indicative of broad statistics. I assumed that's where things were headed, I just didn't realize we were already there.

If you're handling that part with a very wide margin for interpretation, you can read it as "Found a willing European console retail publisher in Koch Media. No such publisher found in the US." :lol:

Admittedly, I'm a little uneasy about some of the possible changes at this point. If we're being entirely honest. I have a lot of mixed feelings. Trying to stay cautiously optimistic, though.

Besides the Hanna changes, what are you uneasy about?

OH GOD what if they cut even more puzzles & other challenges

• agirlnamedbob and Indrid Cold like this

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

#7 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:05

I am not joking....when publishers get involved things can go downhill fast.

• Insulin likes this

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:08

If you're handling that part with a very wide margin for interpretation, you can read it as "Found a willing European console retail publisher in Koch Media. No such publisher found in the US." :lol:

:P Heh... Yeah, also possible. Distribution is a strange and complicated beast. I'm genuinely curious about the numbers now, is all. I'll have to look into it. 

Besides the Hanna changes, what are you uneasy about?

OH GOD what if they cut even more puzzles & other challenges

I'm actually not particularly uneasy about Hanna's changes (assuming that we're correct about that). Art tweaks,polishing changes to the visuals, lighting, music, etc... that doesn't really worry me. And additive changes don't really worry me. 

But yeah. It's more that latter one I'm concerned about. The more changes they make, the harder it's going to be to not feel like a beta tester. In ways, it does sort of feel like we did get the beta version of some things. Which...isn't necessarily a problem. ...But there's a reason why RTG didn't want to do an open beta for the game. So much of this game is driven by story and characters and mood. It's an experience. The changes to Book One were... ...weird. And it's weird knowing that anyone who plays the game now will have a different experience than I did on a more fundamental level than just better sound and lighting or some tighter character modeling. 

So. I guess those are the potential changes I'm nervous about. I'm curious what all is being changed and at what point it will feel like the game I experienced no longer exists. Not quite a true Ship of Theseus problem, but... kinda in that wheelhouse. 

There's also the fact that with everything up to now being digital and only "Final Cut" being pressed to disc, preserving the game as it was becomes a bit more difficult. 

Fair enough. I have no idea what RTG's deal here looks like. But. Of all the things to possibly be concerned about with the introduction of a publisher, adding combat just does not seem like one of them. Again. They've been working on gameplay changes since before Book Five was out. 

• khh, Hellegennes, robertc and 1 other like this

#9 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:18

Well, there is stealth combat and a final spear battle in the game already, right? Koch Media won't force RTG to do more than that.

Or press Steam on backer archive discs again.

I'm actually not particularly uneasy about Hanna's changes (assuming that we're correct about that).

We are correct about that. :)

And additive changes don't really worry me.

... the additive changes are what worry me most, to be honest. The balance between interactive and cutscene elements was way off already, particularly in the last two Books. If we're getting another Queenie soliloquy, proper final exchanges with Hanna, Mira, Wit and Bip (all of whom were evidently meant to properly appear [and speak] in the final Book), if we're getting the long awaited glimpse at Bip's parents etc., then things are getting even more crowded in the sit still and watch department. :(

• Ringtail, Mr_Russ, debro and 1 other like this

#10 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:22

"The third patch is the big one — the aforementioned ‘The Final Cut’ — which upgrades
the game to match the console versions. This version will also be included in the
Kickstarter boxes scheduled to ship close to the release of the console versions along
with the remaining physical rewards."

So...that means that the map, Tome of the Balance, short stories, etc. are also due in March/April? :)
  • Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, popcorngal and 1 other like this

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:24

So...that means that the map, Tome of the Balance, short stories, etc. are also due in March/April? :)

Talk about Emma's museum as well and then you'll make RTG REALLY uncomfortable. :)
  • popcorngal, Ringtail, MisterMetropolis and 3 others like this

#12 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:29

Talk about Emma's museum as well and then you'll make RTG REALLY uncomfortable. :)

Apropos of this and your thought about new scenes with Queenie, etc., there's an argument to be made for those being included as "deleted scenes" rather than main game content. I think you're right about balance between active and passive time for the player.

#13 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:51

Im so excited about The Final Cut. The very final version of Dreamfall Chapters is coming in March!

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 18:02

... the additive changes are what worry me most, to be honest. The balance between interactive and cutscene elements was way off already, particularly in the last two Books. If we're getting another Queenie soliloquy, proper final exchanges with Hanna, Mira, Wit and Bip (all of whom were evidently meant to properly appear [and speak] in the final Book), if we're getting the long awaited glimpse at Bip's parents etc., then things are getting even more crowded in the sit still and watch department.  :(

Mnn... I see what you mean, but... ...yeah. Personally not as concerned about those specific examples as I am about other things. 

Though those also weren't quite what I had in mind when I said additive changes. Hard to talk about this when it's all subjective and fluid and there aren't strict terms. :P

Regardless, I'm less concerned about that balance between interactivity and cut scene and more concerned that any drastic changes or large enough additions to flesh out certain details will alter the way I interfaced with the story in a way that will feel like a loss. I've become rather attached to a few of the ambiguities and with this much time having passed in regards to some of them... ...I don't know. My concerns are emotional ones, basically. And it's difficult to fully explain that, I guess. The emotional core of the game is far, far more important to me than anything else. And it's not that I don't trust RTG to take that into account with changes, I do... but... finishing that game was a huge emotional experience. Futzing with it is going to make me nervous. 

So...that means that the map, Tome of the Balance, short stories, etc. are also due in March/April?  :)

Oh, right. I suppose since some of that stuff is included in the physical copies, that does follow. I keep forgetting about some of that stuff. >>; 

• popcorngal, khh and NeilClaimer like this

#15 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 20:13

Oh what a surprise the German voice over ("no, it is not ready, we have to wait for the studio") is ready since November.
I don't even try anymore to understand the way you are treating the German customer here so I won't dicuss this here.
However: while you are on it adding them to book 4 and 5 (which I haven't played yet because of this stupid and unfair decision

to let German customers who already paid for it wait until the end of days is near) don't forget to add them back to book 1 which you

also broke.

#16 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 20:32

This version will also be included in the

with the remaining physical rewards.

Wow! I expected them to make the game first and then take a few more months to make all the digital and physical backer rewards. That's very exciting! Looks like this journey that started since the Kickstarter really is finally going to end soon.

I just hope the Final Cut contains all the Kickstarter promises and stretch goals. It's getting kind of suspicious how they're not mentioning them at this point.

• Vainamoinen and Starseeker like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#17 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 23:40

If you grab the Humble download you can keep the "old" version of the game that you're familiar with. I have one from way back that has the shadow people, the talking bins and glitches to walk through stuff.

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,868 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 23:54

If you grab the Humble download you can keep the "old" version of the game that you're familiar with. I have one from way back that has the shadow people, the talking bins and glitches to walk through stuff.

True, but that only solves part of the problem (IMHO). I think I have an older Humble version on my computer somewhere, but Humble does replace versions (as far as I know). So yeah, you can save a current copy off of Humble if you want and keep it so it won't just get overwritten, the current version doesn't include the "original" Book One. So unless you already have a version with that somewhere on your computer, there's nowhere you can go out and download it. Well. ...Legally. I suppose we can assume there are pirated copies of old versions floating around.

Even taking the already changed Book One out of the equation, that still doesn't change the potential gap between players who played as the game came out and kept their own archival copies and ones who will play in the future without access to previous versions.

Though again...this is all way out into the realm of speculation. I'm not necessarily saying there's going to be a huge problem. I might love all the changes. Just expressing potential concerns. I'm anxious to see what happens. 

• Vainamoinen and khh like this

#19 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 00:09

Ahhhhhh that's the 1.0 walk on the river version with the only Czech talky bits in all of Propast. A seasoned classic for the finest of nostalgia DFC connoisseurs! But I definitely didn't archive those versions, and I wouldn't install them again. The framerate was just abysmal. :P

I just hope the Final Cut contains all the Kickstarter promises and stretch goals.

I hope I'm not fucking with anyone's hopes and expectations, but that is neither possible nor desirable. It's obvious that DFC was planned as a different beast back in the Kickstarter days. That became apparent only a few weeks after the campaign ended and we first surprisingly heard of choice & consequence as a key mechanic. I'm still weeping for those challenging puzzles and of course for the real instruments in the musical score, but in other respects, particularly concerning game length and the most expansive cast of characters, I think we got more than we bargained for. Yes, Emma's museum was a stretch goal, but then again, the contest that was meant to fill the museum with fan art never happened after the exegetic music contest disaster. And, yes, one of the planned plot points involved Madame Nyx and her illustrious "House of Dreams"... but shoehorn in another puzzle free errand for Zoë just to get it in? That energy is better spent elsewhere. :mellow:

However – concerning short stories + audio versions, interactive prequel graphic novel, alternative costumes (for fuck's sake, just press all costumes on all backer versions, it really doesn't matter any more), art book, Tome of the Balance, Making Of and of course the MAP, I'm all with you. Bring it on! :)

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Ringtail and 1 other like this

#20 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 January 2017 - 00:58

A seasoned classic for the finest of nostalgia DFC connoisseurs! But I definitely didn't archive those versions, and I wouldn't install them again. The framerate was just abysmal. :P

I'm holding on to the very first book 1 download my self. I think that means I have issues with letting go or something.

The frame rate was mainly ok for me (well, it was playable), I was abit choppy around the monument, but thats all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, kickstarter update, january update, patch, german subtitles, console release, xbox, playstation, enhanced edition, final cut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users