• Vainamoinen and Pawlo_86 like this

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 21:59

Yes, we've been pondering that as well. But, note that this track uses real instruments – Simon Poole's DFC soundtrack doesn't do that, to my knowledge; even the vocals are from his wife and kid. :P

So I must assume that the Marcuria dance track is stock or licensed music, formerly unconnected to the TLJ universe. And in that case, just like with the Egil Olson songs, it can't be on the official soundtrack collection. :mellow:

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

#3 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:25

Wasn't the soundtrack released only for book one? Or was it updated later?

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:19

It was updated.  We now have the soundtrack for the entire game.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 06 February 2017 - 14:29

Really? Was there an update about it? I wonder how I missed that. When did it happen?

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 17:22

Really? Was there an update about it? I wonder how I missed that. When did it happen?

No update to my knowledge.

The full soundtrack was up on Simon Poole's bandcamp account since July 7th, 2016.

All backers with pledges 50$+ could download the soundtrack from their Humble accounts August 15th.

• ChrisR likes this

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:53

Thank you for answers guys!

#8 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:57

this is also a sample library, not real instruments. A trained ear can hear that. It's very deep sampled and we musicians buy this stuff exactly for those reasons to make it sound as if we use real instruments. It's just something that is made for the ingame experience but isn't "overarching soundtrack". And mostly because it is a small loop of music it's not really structured into a real song, whereas the original OST has tracks with its own structure. That's why they might not include it in the "official cd"

• Vainamoinen and Bruno like this

#9 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 February 2017 - 15:53

this is also a sample library, not real instruments. A trained ear can hear that. It's very deep sampled and we musicians buy this stuff exactly for those reasons to make it sound as if we use real instruments. It's just something that is made for the ingame experience but isn't "overarching soundtrack". And mostly because it is a small loop of music it's not really structured into a real song, whereas the original OST has tracks with its own structure. That's why they might not include it in the "official cd"

Liked for what you wrote but also for having you back :)

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

Photos @ Instagram

#10 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:53

Yeah, I kinda jumped off a bit after book 5 becasue it was going to be long anyway. I've been on and off to take a peek if there was progress. And now we approach march I'm back for a while for the final celebrations:)

• Bruno likes this

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:28

"Deep sampling" is a new and interesting concept to me. It sounds a bit like melody/motif are established in the sample already, which to me means that the composer/arranger can not really claim the finished music as his original work or even sell it as his own.

Then again, I know of at least one case in which identical musical motifs have surfaced in three different video games, orchestrated with different samples, scored by three different composers, and I have yet to receive a satisfying answer as to how that's even possible.

#12 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:18

Technically it doesn't always mean phrases. It means that when you have an instrument that has lots of "human" trait, like a violin that slides to a new note, or a guitar that has this fiddle sound on the nylon snare as you choose a new note to play. These sort of things are sampled independently and then scripted inside of the sampler to play at the right moment, in the case of the guitar, when you release the note a whole register of these "fiddle" samples are played randomly to make it sound human. In the case of the violin, when it's recorded the producer ask the player to play legato's to each higher or lower note. These legato sounds (the pitch bending portamentos that make a violin "human") are then stored in a register that is scripted as well. So if someone who buys that library plays notes, it adds samples from that register to the mix as you play note sequences to make it sounds deep like a human would play the violin.

There's piano libraries that have the "sympathetic snare/soundboard resonance" recorded from a natural sustained note. when you play a sustained note in the library (with sustain pedal down), that resonance sample will be mixed in.

There's flute libaries that employ "round robin" tactics when playing quick notes. The original flute player who records the sample library plays lots of quick notes on each tone and these are stored in the library and called upon when players play quick notes (scripts detect that) 

So deep sampling ie a whole world on its own.

• Vainamoinen and Bruno like this

#13 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:23

Here's someone playing a flute library using a breath controller. These sample libraries also have a modulation script that causes more expressive version of the flute note to be mixed in if they apply more breath. I often do this with modulation wheel to simulate it. But if you have a breath controller like this guy you can do it with that, or with an expression pedal.

We know how to cheat ppl :P https://youtu.be/gZOGbCVMoik?t=93

Here's a string library I have as well, 

I think on his "house of all world" tune, Simon poole uses a string library hat has muted violins to play that high pitched melody with. So you have all these different playstyles of violin in a library which makes it huge.

A bit more satirical: deep sampled baby:https://www.youtube....h?v=1_IrjKRyU04

So see, a project musician like me, we can come up with any sound in our tracks because of the huge amount of sampled kontakt / play libraries commercially available

• Vainamoinen, Mr_Russ and Bruno like this

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 23:59

That sounds amazing. Also, amazingly expensive. :blink:

#15 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:48

lol yeah the diamond version, but you also have a silver version now which means,  16 bit sounds instead of 24bit, and not so much microphone positions (stage, direct). It's all very comercially exploited. 

I'm not buying the ewql's anymore as I have enough convincing libraries like this. You've got companies like 8dio who make more robust scripted instruments that are smaller in scope and size but still sound very convincing. The EWQL libraries are incredibly complex as they're meant to be run with 3 or 4 instances at the same time, because you can simulate 1st and second divisi string players of an orchestra and they all have their unique sound. It's incredibly detailed. PEople like Leon Willett run this on dedicated workstations. At least it used to be at the time of dreamfall, that he had one workstation for strings, one for brass etc... and it was all networked into one DAW with a sequencer. Nowadays in 64bit era you can run much more at once, but I still think people like hans zimmer have dedicated workstations only for certain instruments.

I'm busy with a song that uses almost half my working ram for samples choirs, soprano stacato's and strings. I'm up for a new pc as well, my pieces get so complex that the pc can barely keep up with all the samples and streaming from the various kontakt and play instruments I have open. SSD disks should do wonders! 

The price used to be much more. I remember the first hollywood strings library from EWQL cost around $999. But they have been reduced in price since it became more popular and since more mainstream pc's (due to 64 bit and virtually unlimited ram) could run these things. 

Now you even have a subscription option, to pay $29/mo to have all their sample library. you basicly rent them with a licens.  So you can access them for a very affordable price but it's not permanent license like I have.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#16 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 18:29

Ah. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users