27 replies to this topic

#21 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 28 February 2017 - 17:30

That's fine. Black humour is not for everyone. The end does justify the means in some cases. If you were the rat, we would call it a sacrifice. If it was not your choice, we would call the situation a dilemma. In the end, however, if by killing one you save many (and in this case everyone and the whole universe), this decision may be regrettable but necessary.

#22 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:05

That's fine. Black humour is not for everyone. The end does justify the means in some cases. If you were the rat, we would call it a sacrifice. If it was not your choice, we would call the situation a dilemma. In the end, however, if by killing one you save many (and in this case everyone and the whole universe), this decision may be regrettable but necessary.

A sacrifice usually implies the creature's awareness of its own sacrifice ;-)

Regrettable: yes, necessary: no. There are million ways to distract some guards other than sacrificing a rat...just to cite one think about Bip and the fireworks back in book 2 or 3. The game decided the rat was the only way but in real life one could try something different...anything really.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#23 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 03 March 2017 - 21:40

However, security was less lax this time around, they were prepared. and the rat business certainly seemed less suspicious than any other kind of distraction. It was the safest choice.

#24 LootHunter

LootHunter

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 03 March 2017 - 23:34

There are million ways to distract some guards other than sacrificing a rat...just to cite one think about Bip and the fireworks back in book 2 or 3.

Risking Bip's life to save some rat? Really?

#25 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38

Risking Bip's life to save some rat? Really?

1) it happened in the game before...so, while it certaintly would be boring to have the same exact solution, it'd still be possible :)
2) risk his life? A distraction (Bip) doesn't necessarily imply risking one's life...it's not like Kian would send Bip inside the pipes XD

additional ruminations which don't have anything to do with this reply:

Spoiler

#26 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 6,993 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2017 - 16:16

In the context of the game whether to kill a rat is not a moral dilemma. It seems to me that those who are making an argument for this being distasteful are making the arguments from the point of view of the player, while those of us not really getting the problem are approaching the issue from the point of view of the game.

So shifting focus so we're all talking about the same thing, the argument here kind of boils down to "I found this part uncomfortable" and "I didn't". Which, you know. Fair enough, I suppose.
  • Guyra and toremygg like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#27 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:19

So shifting focus so we're all talking about the same thing, the argument here kind of boils down to "I found this part uncomfortable" and "I didn't". Which, you know. Fair enough, I suppose.

Ok: I found that part uncomfortable...

#28 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 00:16

I didn't find it funny, but it would seem improbable to me that Kian would give a second thought about killing a rat.  Zoe might, but Kian's a soldier.  He's killed lots of people and probably hunted for his own food.  If you think about his life and society, where would he acquire any compunctions about killing animals?  Until recently that he didn't have much regard for the life of sentient non-humans.

• Mr_Russ and LootHunter like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users