7 replies to this topic

#1 Uhuru N'Uru

Uhuru N'Uru

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 19:13

I was a Kickstarter backer, and hated the episodic release so much, I never even started the game, until the Final release was long done.

I wanted no part of the episodic release format present in the game, and I don't mean the Chapters structure, I mean the artificial splitting into 5 "Books", to sell the game in "Episodes".

So I was dismayed to find that still part of the final release, I found the gameplay breaks, and forced restarts extremely annoying.

Also the overly long summarising of the choices I made, when every "important choice" (Not really that important in most cases), was made blatantly obvious, when I was making them.

I also hated the what others chose system, ripped directly from telltale (hate it in their games as well), and the fact I still saw the system, even when I played always offline.

As for the puzzles, a few small trigger points were extremely irritating, the chain ride up the tower, was an example, the entire chain should have shown the hand, not just a small region higher up, above my head.

The worst puzzle was the tidy up the 9 drawings hunt, that one was just annoying, and not fun, or even sensible, for a toddler to have hidden them all, when they supposedly needed tidying away.

That would have been much better if just scattered in the floor, and the putting in order on the walls, part was the only puzzle part.

The story wasn't perfect, and some parts made no sense, Anna's absense after the stabbing for one, but for the most partI enjoyed the story, barring obvious plot holes. and some inconsistancies, between the three games.

It was the way the final edition was still in episode format, with the five summaries, and restarts, that was the worst part.

It should have cut these out, completely, and just started the next chapter, in the completed final game, there were 14 chapters, and a few interludes, which should have been the all that was required.

Having waited so long to make sure the final complete game, with all patching done, was what I played. Seeing the forced joins, still showing the seams, and taking me out of the game, was the most dissapoining part.

#2 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 25 February 2017 - 20:00

I was a Kickstarter backer, and hated the episodic release so much, I never even started the game, until the Final release was long done.

I wanted no part of the episodic release format present in the game, and I don't mean the Chapters structure, I mean the artificial splitting into 5 "Books", to sell the game in "Episodes".

So I was dismayed to find that still part of the final release, I found the gameplay breaks, and forced restarts extremely annoying.

Also the overly long summarising of the choices I made, when every "important choice" (Not really that important in most cases), was made blatantly obvious, when I was making them.

I also hated the what others chose system, ripped directly from telltale (hate it in their games as well), and the fact I still saw the system, even when I played always offline.

As for the puzzles, a few small trigger points were extremely irritating, the chain ride up the tower, was an example, the entire chain should have shown the hand, not just a small region higher up, above my head.

The worst puzzle was the tidy up the 9 drawings hunt, that one was just annoying, and not fun, or even sensible, for a toddler to have hidden them all, when they supposedly needed tidying away.

That would have been much better if just scattered in the floor, and the putting in order on the walls, part was the only puzzle part.

The story wasn't perfect, and some parts made no sense, Anna's absense after the stabbing for one, but for the most partI enjoyed the story, barring obvious plot holes. and some inconsistancies, between the three games.

It was the way the final edition was still in episode format, with the five summaries, and restarts, that was the worst part.

It should have cut these out, completely, and just started the next chapter, in the completed final game, there were 14 chapters, and a few interludes, which should have been the all that was required.

Having waited so long to make sure the final complete game, with all patching done, was what I played. Seeing the forced joins, still showing the seams, and taking me out of the game, was the most dissapoining part.

The final release hasn't happened yet

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7,028 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:23

I mean the artificial splitting into 5 "Books", to sell the game in "Episodes".

The game was developed in episodes, but only ever sold as a whole. It wasn't an artificial split, it was one they needed to do to develop a game of this scope with a team the size they had.

And as Jamil pointed out, it's not the final version yet.

Other than that those seem like fair criticisms.

(disclaimer: I'm just a mod in the forums, I don't work for RTG)

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:47

They said that they want to make it more like a single game without the breaks in the final version, anyway. It releases in May.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#5 Uhuru N'Uru

Uhuru N'Uru

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 22:16

Well, having not played it, I was avoiding reading anything about it, I was talking about the Redux Version, that I only knew about, when it appeared as a GOG update..

I was fine with waiting for that, and gave it a further six months, for bugfixing, but expected it to have the joins removed, in that edition released at the games completion.

I believe there was also an update in January, monthys after full game was out.

It's not a big task, to remove them and just go to the next chapter, and by artificial split, I'm talking now, it's completed.

As for whether it was "Needed", I don't think it really was, unless they never set a realistic Kickstarter target, for making the entire game.

A common problem with Kickstarter, where it's a time limited all or nothing deal, and Kickstarter wants a fast turnover, so unrealistic targets are set, to ensure startup.

If the Crowdfunding, was adequate, there was no need to release it in episodes, hence it was artificial, or an inadequate target was set, to begin with, and it was used to raise more cash.

I like Crowdfunding games, but ones where realistic targets are set for startup, and prefer direct funding, with all my funds going to the project.

This was my first crowdfunded game, and I now only back fully crowdfunded projects, and I prefer to wait, however long it takes, to get the full game.

I've backed Star Citizwn, direct, and prefer that open development method, to the way DC was done.

I simply don't like episodic releases, and do think they impose artificial splits on games, introducing a tendancy to create, cliffhanger endings, for each split.

As I said I enjoyed the game, in spite of this, but it would have been better without the joins, when the last Epoisode released, which made it a completed (hence I used the word Final) game,

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#6 Artorias

Artorias

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:49

The puzzles in general were disappointing. They weren't so much puzzles to figure out, as they were vague instructions with difficult to find components. A lot of walking around spinning the mouse around looking for anything to interact with, very little actual thinking and solving puzzles. I don't think anyone wants a return of the rubber ducky puzzle from TLJ, but many times the puzzles in Dreamfall Chapters were frustrating rather than interesting and challenging. I think the broken sword games do a really great job with puzzles. Devs could look at those games for inspiration.

The episodic nature too was not ideal.

I get that there are kickstarter limitations and stuff, and what's done is done, but these areas where the devs could improve in the future.

#7 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 18:49

I don't think anyone wants a return of the rubber ducky puzzle from TLJ to return

I do! I love obtuse puzzles.

• Dmm and Starseeker like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#8 Valiah

Valiah

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 June 2017 - 21:01

Hate is a strong word, but to each their own I guess. 

My main issue with the episodic format were how far apart the books were released. I played the first two books as they came out due to sheer excitement, but then decided to wait until they were all released because I couldn't keep the story and my choices fresh in my head with all the time that passed.  

Personally I liked the summaries, but that is partially because I only have a few hours a week to spend on gaming so my progress is slow enough that they actually serve as useful reminders of my choices. I like that the summaries included some flavor text hinting at when the consequences might come and the potential scope of the consequences. Being able to link my personal choices to the events that happen in the game is key to making the choices feel meaningful and to help me make that personal connection with the story, and this tool helpes me achieve that.

I LOVED being able to see what others have chosen, I find it really interesting. I did appreciate that the stats didn't show when making choice unless you click on the icon to reveal it, in case you find it breaks immersion or you don't want it to affect your choices. 

There was far less pixel hunting in DFC than in most previous adventure games I've played (The Longest Journey definitely comes to mind)... Although that is certainly no excuse. I agree that when you're looking at something like a rope the entire object should ideally trigger, but it's a tricky balance. I definitely wouldn't want something to trigger when I'm too far away to use it or not looking directly at it. I like figuring things out on my own, so I really hate it when games make it too easy by drawing your attention to the objects. 

I agree that finding the drawings was frustrating, but seeing as I have a toddler of my own I found it perfectly sensible. I do similar treasure hunts at home every day. This morning one shoe was in the drawer where we keep our baking tools and the other was hidden under her drums. I'm sure there were reasons.  :rolleyes:

My main critique is that i would have liked to see more varied puzzles. Well, and the implementation of the Kickstarter stretch goals and rewards.... 

• Edreamer Jamil and Starseeker like this

WARNING: This post may contain opinions, and they might not be yours

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users