Harbinger of the Balance

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:38

[link to Kickstarter update]

The Final Cut cometh

79ff6bd6fcd2b091ee0ba3dd2f7b17dd_origina

The art speaks the truth:

In just over a week, on July 21st, the updated, upgraded, edited, optimised and remastered

Final Cut edition of Dreamfall Chapters lands on PC and Mac. This is the culmination of almost

five years of work by the Red Thread team, and we're both grateful and relieved that we've

made it to the end of the road in one piece…accompanied by our amazing backers. Hurray!

As mentioned in our last Kickstarter update, The Final Cut (TFC) includes all the visual and

audio upgrades from the console versions, including (but not limited to) new and tweaked

character models, an expanded soundtrack, remastered voice-overs and reworked sound

effects. We've made some nips and tucks throughout the game, and we've fixed a ton of bugs.

There are some cool new special features, including playable deleted scenes and character

profiles. In addition, TFC updates the game engine to a later version of Unity, and should run

smoother and faster, and look better, on most PCs and Macs.

Last but not least, TFC includes the final batch of in-game Kickstarter rewards, including outfit

changes and Birthright characters.

We'll be (re-)announcing the imminent release shortly with a new trailer, new key art and an

updated recap video of the story so far – but, as usual, you guys are getting a head start:

Dreamfall Chapters: The Final Cut release date announcement trailer

Dreamfall: The Story So Far

ca6e48f71446a01e332b70391806f7d0_origina

(Click the key art for the full 1920x1080 desktop wallpaper version.)

To manage expectations a bit: this is still Dreamfall Chapters as you know it – don't expect the

game to look and feel dramatically different (although it definitely sounds a lot better than

before) and if you've recently played and finished the journey, there might not be enough

reasons to revisit the story just yet. But for anyone who's yet to start playing, now's the time; for

players unfamiliar with the saga, we've made it a whole lot easier to get started; and for the

team, it's been amazing to have this rare opportunity to go back and make the tweaks, changes

and fixes we've always wanted to do but never had the time or budget for. This truly is The Final

Cut.

Our attention is now on the next and concluding step in the campaign: getting all those boxes

out to backers. We're honestly looking forward to a fresh challenge, and we hope and plan to

make the wait worth it – we know you've all been extremely patient, and we appreciate that. In

August, we'll have a timeline to share and more information about when and how and what we'll

be doing to get The Final Cut onto discs, into boxes, and up on shelves in thousands of homes

across the world.

There are only two words that properly convey how we feel about this: "EEK!" and "YAY!"

Until next time,

Team RTG

• Edreamer Jamil, khh and Guyra like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:11

I don't know about the rest of you, but it looks like there's been some updates to both the textures and lighting.  it's only a few scenes shown here, but they seem to look better than I remember. 

Looking forward to finally seeing the final cut.  Been putting off another play-through for this.

#3 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:29

Hmm, playable deleted scenes? That sounds cool! :wub:
I haven't played DFC since first steam release so it seems there will be a bunch of new stuff I can look forward :rolleyes:

And glad to read some pre-info about physical rewards!!! I still hear this strange annoying but familiar voice in my head: "Maaaaps, I got maaaps!!!" - can't wait :sotb:

Thanks for the update!

• Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal and Guyra like this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#4 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 14 July 2017 - 16:50

The wording does seem to imply that they haven't actually done anything about the physical rewards yet. "Our attention is now..." implying "it wasn't before now". How's the model for the Wonkers USB coming along, RTG?

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 14 July 2017 - 17:24

I'm more worried about tons of rewards and stretch-goals they have to do. I have a feeling 1/3 of them won't be made.
  • MisterMetropolis and Starseeker like this

#6 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 18:13

The first comment on the update was someone asking about the Loremaster and then RTG answered the second comment. They're still evading it. I think at this point they're just going to try to pretend it was never even a thing and won't ever acknowledge it.

At least the Birthrights and the extra outfits for certain backers (that one was a surprise to me, that of all things they're still doing that) are confirmed to be in it. I assume they're also doing the Benefactor's Gate and the town crier - the last we really heard of them was in September, when they said they would be patched in in October, and they still weren't in the console version.

I forgot about the commentary. I really hope that's in there. That would be awesome. And there also needs to be the making-of video and the Storytime interactive graphic novel, but those can probably be outside the game.

The wording does seem to imply that they haven't actually done anything about the physical rewards yet. "Our attention is now..." implying "it wasn't before now". How's the model for the Wonkers USB coming along, RTG?

I don't really see any reason why they should have until now. The number one priority was the game, and now that it's finally done For Real, they can focus on things outside the game itself.

• khh and Starseeker like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#7 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 20:15

While they don't specifically mention the Loremaster being included, there's also other things they don't mention specifically.  And note the working, "final batch of in-game Kickstarter rewards, including outfit changes and Birthright characters."  That doesn't necessarily mean that other things are not being added, just that they highlighted those things.  And if you think about it, putting a list of all the things they're supposed to be adding would be kinda long.

I guess I'm just hoping that they meant 'including, but not limited to' in this case.

• Valiah likes this

#8 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 23:09

Guys, don't get your hopes up. If Loremaster or anything significant would be incuded, they would hype it without question. They are talking about bugfixes and graphics and music updates, plus some extra stuff like the character gallery or the map-on-demand. And of course the backer rewards (I would assume Benefactor's Gate is included, because it would be just infathomable if they left that out, with it being to contain actual backer's names.) But any stretch goals, whether in-game like Loremaster or outside of it, like the director's commentary are, I believe, absolutely out of the question.

Edit: which is fine for me, I understand that not everything worked out as it was intended. Fine, really. But for crying out loud, come out and say it, RTG! It's not that your fanbase will disappear in disappointment - if anything, your current communication style is resulting in that.

#9 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 23:41

Right. I hope I don't sound like I'm obsessed with these stretch goals or that it's just not going to be a good game if they're not in it, but...it just looks really bad if RTG doesn't include them after promising them. And even worse when they remain completely silent about it. It makes me wonder if they're going to bother with the pledge rewards, too.

I was really looking forward to Zoe meeting with Emma again and discussing her experiences in Dreamfall and what happened to April. And refreshing my knowledge of The Silver Spear of Gorimon. Oh, well.

Still, they might be the hardest working team in gaming, given what they have managed to accomplish. The character models are almost photorealistic and even just one playthrough is incredibly long. It's an especially big game when you realize all the branching scenarios. They should be very proud.

• popcorngal, Guyra, Ringtail and 1 other like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#10 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 23:58

Will be (re)playing this soon-ish, then! Looking forward to that! :D

I don't really mind the stretch goals that haven't been done. It would be a nice plus if they managed to cram that in there, but I figure they've probably had a lot more work on the more basic stuff than expected, and making the main game work properly is many times more important than some extras.

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#11 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 00:47

Right. I hope I don't sound like I'm obsessed with these stretch goals or that it's just not going to be a good game if they're not in it, but...it just looks really bad if RTG doesn't include them after promising them. And even worse when they remain completely silent about it. It makes me wonder if they're going to bother with the pledge rewards, too.

I was really looking forward to Zoe meeting with Emma again and discussing her experiences in Dreamfall and what happened to April. And refreshing my knowledge of The Silver Spear of Gorimon. Oh, well.

Still, they might be the hardest working team in gaming, given what they have managed to accomplish. The character models are almost photorealistic and even just one playthrough is incredibly long. It's an especially big game when you realize all the branching scenarios. They should be very proud.

Agree completely.  It's time for a thorough statement of which stretch goals and backer incentives will be completed, and which won't. There will be some grumpiness, but folks will get over it. Continued silence is worse than disclosure.

But I gotta tell ya - I'm a little excited for the Final Cut.  Think I'm about ready for a replay.  Nice to feel that again.  :)

• popcorngal, khh, Guyra and 1 other like this

#12 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:31

I stopped after Book 3 so I wouldn't spoil it (for myself) by finishing an incomplete game.

As for the list of abandoned promises, it's not an issue that's just going to go away so they'd be better pre-empting it. Better that than the gaming press having to chase it up and them going "Erm, um..."

• popcorngal likes this

#13 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 20:06

Waaaaay back at the beginning, I wanted to wait until I had the boxed set before playing but I caved fairly quickly. Considering all that's transpired, I'm okay with the fact that I played the entire game. Having finished it a while back and having gone through TLJ and Dreamfall again, I'm more than ready to play Chapters again.

Checked out the links and it was a little jarring to see the changes to some of the characters and I'm looking forward to seeing all the other various changes that have been done. I'm so glad they mentioned the Birthright chars... having waited for my Doppelganger to appear until the final chapter, I was feeling a lot of empathy for those people with Birthright chars and the town crier.

And I agree with the general consensus... I'd much rather have them come out and tell us what they can and can't accomplish. In my opinion, silence can often be a lot worse than even a thwack upside the head. :unsure:

At any rate, glad to have gotten another update. Even if it didn't include everything I wanted to know about, it's gotten me excited about playing again. :ehehe:

But I'm still really hoping they're able to produce the cloth maaaaaaps. :D

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 23:47

But I'm still really hoping they're able to produce the cloth maaaaaaps. :D

I'm gonna be honest... 

At this point I'm going to be fine if some of the missing parts of the game never get added (like Loremaster and Emma's Gallery.) I'm miffed, sure, but not really surprised. I've already played the game. Etc. And I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of people will be more forgiving about that sort of thing. I mean. I feel like a lot of us were already kind of expecting some of that to never happen.

...If we find out they're not going to be able to produce all of the items promised in the physical reward packages, though, that's going to be a much different story, I feel.  :mellow:

• popcorngal, MisterMetropolis and Starseeker like this

#15 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:24

...If we find out they're not going to be able to produce all of the items promised in the physical reward packages, though, that's going to be a much different story, I feel.  :mellow:

As I've said before, I personally donated a lot more than I could afford and I knew at the time it would take me a long time to pay down the CC debt. The reason I gave so much was only partly due to the physical rewards. Mostly it was my desire to support RTG and the creation of the game. Of course I have to admit that the reward I wanted the most was already fulfilled, save for the boxed set. I know that might seem silly when digital content is the norm, but I'm totally old school in my love of having a boxed set for a game that means so much to me. 

That said... doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if none of the other rewards are sent. However, I probably won't get super angry since I can imagine it must be easy to get carried away by the excitement of a Kickstarter campaign and promise more than is reasonable to produce. Having such a small group of people must make it so much more difficult to deal with all that kind of stuff. Since I'd never even heard of Kickstarter before and haven't donated to any other projects, I'm just guessing that's the case... I just happened to see a few posts where similar problems have happened with other Kickstarter projects. Which is why I'd only give money to something that meant a lot to me...

I'm totally rambling... but that's usually what I do here. :blush:

Bottom line, guess I'm hoping for the best and expecting a worst case scenario due to the length of time it's been and RTG having such a small crew. :unsure:

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Mr_Russ like this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#16 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:27

No, for sure. And I get all that. I do. I really do. 

It's just that like... I mean. Yes, Kickstarters are something of a gamble in that you are paying for a product that isn't complete yet, so you have no idea what you're ultimately going to get (if anything). ...That being said, in my experience, people deal a lot better with features being dropped from a game or other tweaks being made to the content of a game (or book or whatever) than they do to just straight up not getting some of the actual parts of their reward. 

Products can change during development. That's part of the process. That happens. But that's a very different animal than "Sorry, we can't actually make the maps so no one gets cloth maps," or "Sorry, we can't get the books printed, so none of the books are being included in the boxed sets," or whatever else. And that goes way beyond RTG and DFC and this Kickstarter. It's one thing to be a little disappointed by certain aspects of the finished product. (That's always going to happen. You're never going to have every single person be 100% satisfied.) It's another matter to feel like you were screwed out of getting items you believe you are owed. If something falls through with that and you don't find a way to make it up to backers, you're going to be in for a helluva shitstorm. I mean... if you end up having to drop a feature, that's nothing personal... if you end up dropping a reward that some backers are expecting to get...? That feels more personal.

All that being said, I don't believe that any of that is going to happen here. I still do believe that the intent is for all of the physical versions to include everything that they were originally promised to have. But I'm still definitely going to feel better once we get to August and get some more details about what exactly the game plan is as far as physical rewards and distribution. 

• Edreamer Jamil and popcorngal like this

#17 Maxime Girard

Maxime Girard

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:17

I'm excited to get a phone call eventually. I don't mind if it's one month or three years. As for the final cut, I'll still wait that this adventure is completely over (physical goods and all) before playing through in full again :P

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, popcorngal and 1 other like this

#18 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:36

People paid a lot of money to get those rewards. It looks like most of us paid at least $1,000. I'm not gonna lie, sure I wanted to support Dreamfall Chapters, but my main incentive for pledging as much as I did was to get all the exclusive items that I would never have a chance to get again.

• agirlnamedbob, popcorngal and Mr_Russ like this

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 16 July 2017 - 18:45

Still no info on the Wii U version they announced. There must be literally 10's of people waiting for it.

#20 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 July 2017 - 19:05

Still no info on the Wii U version they announced. There must be literally 10's of people waiting for it.

RTG said long time ago that Wii U version won't happen. Also there won't be Switch port.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

Valy, Edreamer Jamil