3351 replies to this topic

#3341 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 21:57

Yikes, how old is that picture now. Two years, or rather three?

And "huge, open world RPG" always sounds neat. :)

I guess that March 24th (my brother's birthday!) now isn't only the day of the console releases, but also the update day for the other versions too. Pretty sure Koch Media wouldn't have it any other way. Which is OK though. It's basically just three months away.

I just hope that the distribution deal with Koch doesn't mean they'll print the backer rewards as well. Because these guys are so far up Valve's... okay, won't go there. But won't forget the Broken Sword 5 backer archive disc disaster as well.  :ph34r:

• agirlnamedbob, Mr_Russ and bongboy like this

Chairwoman and/or man of the Forum Exodus Rejection and Downtime Opposition Warlords Society (F.E.R.D.O.W.S.). Join now!

#3342 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:59

I don't really understand what this means, but seems like an interesting TLJ tidbit:

• Vainamoinen, khh and NeilClaimer like this

#3343 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:33

I don't really understand what this means..

It just confirms what most people already knew I suspect. Its an interesting post.

Pretty much it comes down to this:

All the scenes you walk around in, were originally real 3D environments (made in 3D max or whatever). They were then rendered (2D images created) one at a time for each screen in the game. These could then be built up in layers which allowed April to walk behind some aspects and in front of others. The final scenes were then touched up by an artist. The game engine its self only handled these 2D rendered images, and played FMV of pre-rendered 3D scenes.

Actually the character models (like April) are 3D models moving around on the 2D back drops. Also the cars that fly around Newport etc..
So the engine did handle some limited 3D. No different really to something like Grim Fandango.

You can see some of the full 3D scenes in the game, for example when you first walk to the clock tower in Newport a pre rendered sequence (FMV) plays scrolling down from the city skyscrapers down to the bridges. The camera settles in the exact spot the 2D image was taken creating an almost seamless transition between the FMV sequence and the game engine taking over.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, khh and 6 others like this

#3344 Olstyle

Olstyle

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:27

Like for accuracy.

That also makes it even sadder(android doesn't think this is a word, I don't care) that they got lost in history, those could have made a great starting point for a remake.
  • khh likes this

#3345 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:40

That also makes it even sader(android doesn't think this is a word, I don't car)

Probably because the word is "sadder". :)

#3346 Olstyle

Olstyle

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:49

Fixed 😅
  • Indrid Cold likes this

#3347 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:54

On facebook, Ragnar posted a link to the list of the nominees for Spillprisen. Spillprisen 2016 is an annual award show for Norwegian developers, and is hosted by Virke Produsentforeningen and Spillmakerlauget. The intention of the award is to honor the best games made by Norwegian developers in 2016. The show this year is organized by volunteers from the game developers group in Virke Produsentforeningen. Guess what game is at the top of the list? It's in alphabetical order, but it's still at the top. :P

#3348 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:03

There's hardly a category DFC isn't in.  I'd say that's great for RTG!  Good luck!

#3349 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 14:30

Not sure what a 2014 game does in the contest for 2016, but congratulations anyway. :)

Chairwoman and/or man of the Forum Exodus Rejection and Downtime Opposition Warlords Society (F.E.R.D.O.W.S.). Join now!

#3350 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 00:19

Not sure what a 2014 game does in the contest for 2016, but congratulations anyway. :)

The only thing I can think of is that book 5 was released in 2016, and this has made it eligible.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#3351 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 17:30

The award ceremony took place, and RTG posted this about it on facebook:

Congrats to our composer and audio director Simon Poole for winning the award for Best Audio at the Norwegian Game Awards last night – and to the other winners for delivering some truly amazing games in 2016!

Dreamfall Chapters was up against formidable competition in four categories, including Game of the Year. To walk away with an award is both humbling and satisfying – it's been one of the best years ever for our burgeoning, homegrown industry.

With Simon, Red Thread Games is blessed with one of the best composers, audio directors and sound designers around. We can't wait for you to hear what he's working on next!

Link.

#3352 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 18:36

The Spillprisen website uses the logo for the fifth Chapters Book, REDUX, throughout, so I guess that's what they're judging, which is fair.

However, I still don't think the judgement here was all sensible. I truly love Simon Poole's work for Chapters, but in 2016, Owlboy literally blew me away. Granted, that is a British composer and not a Norwegian one, but Owlboy's sheer wealth of motifs and styles, the use of real instruments throughout just catapults this, subjectively, way above the last Chapters episode. And last not least, Owlboy is even doing interactive music sections. This was all and so much more than what I had hoped for Chapters. :blush: 

Owlboy did bag no less than three of the seven awards, among them Game of the Year, so I'll just shut up about that. Personally, I support to give the best art award to Owlboy and therewith Simon Stafsnes Andersen. This is practically his life's work, and it is oh so pretty. From an artistic and personal standpoint however... hey, Redux was fucking incredible, OK? :P

I'm kind of gleeful that Earthlock didn't get a single award. The Snowcastle Games guys have been keeping their game from GOG for three and a half months now even though they've explicitly promised a release on Kickstarter and elsewhere. Which is of course in no way a sensible criterium for withholding any awards. B) 

• bongboy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter, facebook, RTG, information, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users