• Please log in to reply
3395 replies to this topic

#3381 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,931 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 19:22

Collecting games on a console is abit different and tends to have more value. For a start the games will always work on the console. They can be sold as a collection etc.. But Try installing the original Dreamfall out of the box on windows 10 and see if it works. The standard game box is now worthless junk.

Agreed.

I was focusing more specifically on consoles at this point, as that's the only physical release that is happening (period) beyond the backer copies. It's pretty obvious where physical distribution is at in regards to PC games. Consoles... ...less so, but like I was saying. There's a break even point that needs to be considered there, even if physical release is still more popular for consoles. It can be more profitable in some circumstances to take the hit in sales from people who won't buy unless there's a physical copy.

...Also the whole "finding a publisher" thing. I have no idea how this whole thing with Deep Silver came about, but... ...who knows if they could find a publisher to do US distribution, even if they wanted to. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3382 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 09 March 2017 - 19:36

There's a break even point that needs to be considered there, even if physical release is still more popular for consoles. It can be more profitable in some circumstances to take the hit in sales from people who won't buy unless there's a physical copy.

For an indie game I would be 100% surprised if that was true. There is very little difference now between PC and Consoles. The Switch 'Carts' are a good idea, because they are cheap (in duplication terms), but even they are not cost effective for low budget games.

To care more about a plastic box than playing the game is madness.

#3383 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,931 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 19:50

For an indie game I would be 100% surprised if that was true. There is very little difference now between PC and Consoles. The Switch 'Carts' are a good idea, because they are cheap (in duplication terms), but even they are not cost effective for low budget games.

I think we're agreeing but maybe I phrased it badly. I was pointing out the break even point as a rebuttal to the "console releases should be physical / this will hurt their sales" thing. 

What I'm saying is that there's this notion that since console gamers may prefer physical copies, you will take a hit in sales if you don't have a physical release. And while that might still be more true in the console world than the PC world, the higher profit margin on digital means you can lose a significant number of total sales and still make money. And it takes a lot of sales to break even with physical release.

I feel like if RTG did do a physical release in the US, it's not unlikely that it would end up costing money rather than making money. So better to take a hypothetical hit in total copies sold and still walk away in the black rather than going into the red with printing and distribution costs. 

For big AAA titles, the math probably works out differently most of the time. But that's not the situation here. 

#3384 Lee-m

Lee-m

Vestrum Herald

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 09 March 2017 - 20:02

I think we're agreeing

For the most part :)

I feel like if RTG did do a physical release in the US, it's not unlikely that it would end up costing money rather than making money.

And that is if you sell them all. Any unsold physical versions are money lost.

This forum I think is a good example of a small(ish) pocket of gamers, as regards this issue(and others). People around 30+ to say. 50 years old (and older obviously, and I am in that bracket (36)). Some of us just never got over the fact that the 90s ended, and never really moved on. It's pretty interesting really.
  • agirlnamedbob and Carla like this

#3385 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:09

So, Ragnar retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/...219166392713216
(on mobile, I don't know if the tweet is embedded)
So yep, confirmed release in may :)
Plenty of time to finish Mass Effect Andromeda :D
  • CosmicD and NeilClaimer like this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#3386 NeilClaimer

NeilClaimer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:20

Yeah, also they must have known I would be too busy with RuPaul's Drag Race premiering March 24 as well, I'm sure.
52 days, though, yay!
  • MisterMetropolis, charmed23 and debro like this

I was born to hold a DualShock · Scrobbling gives me life

I seem to keep waiting for Reza to ask me to pick up a package for him or something

#3387 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:57

Or it will be moved even further. It's just sad that there are no RTG's posts on this forum anymore. It feels kinda abandoned.

#3388 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 15:07

Yeah, also they must have known I would be too busy with RuPaul's Drag Race premiering March 24 as well, I'm sure.
52 days, though, yay!

Dudeeeee, you watch RuPaul too? We gotta do Dreamfall/RuPaul live streaming together baha!

• MisterMetropolis and NeilClaimer like this

#3389 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 21:07

I don't twitter or anything so thanks for keeping us updated debro :)

• Mr_Russ, NeilClaimer and debro like this

#3390 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 March 2017 - 21:52

Hi guys, long time no see. :) I remember a while ago Ragnar said something to the effect that "The Longest Journey" subtitle on the game had only been there for brand recognition purposes during the Kickstarter campaign, and just "Dreamfall Chapters" has been the intended full title of the game all along. Does anyone know what I am talking about or, better yet, still have that link?
  • Guyra likes this

#3391 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 10,931 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 March 2017 - 22:19

I think this is what you're looking for. 

It is. The only place we ever called it 'Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey' was in the Kickstarter, where we wanted people to understand it took place in the TLJ universe. I don't like long titles.

• Koveras and NeilClaimer like this

#3392 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted Yesterday, 00:43

Also, from Twitter today, re: release date (nothing we didn't know, but nice to have confirmation):

Deep Silver moved the Dreamfall Chapters release date last month—from March 24th to May 5th! More here: http://www.deepsilver.com/en/games/dreamfall-chapters/ 

Lots of people have been asking—the release date change could have been communicated better… MAY 5 on Xbox/PS4, y’all!

Red Thread Games added,

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#3393 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:10

Still doesn't tell us anything about the PC version. :(

#3394 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted Yesterday, 07:02

I think this is what you're looking for.

Thank you. :-)
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#3395 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:16

It's nice to know that Deep Silver is the one who moved it and everything is probably going smoothly with development.

• Vainamoinen likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3396 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:08

It's nice to know that Deep Silver is the one who moved it and everything is probably going smoothly with development.

Ahahahahhh! They want you to think that. :D

• ChrisR, Bruno and Olstyle like this

"Negative coverage" of the Donald Trump regime means calling a spade a spade. It is the "balanced" view and "middle ground" you've been looking for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter, facebook, RTG, information, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users