Want to work at Red Thread Games?
Great! We want to hear from talented, passionate, friendly, fun, energetic and experienced people -- especially if you share our love of interactive storytelling and The Longest Journey saga.
Our employees have tons of design and development experience from games such as The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, The Secret World and many others. And we're passionate about what we're doing. We love adventure games, we love telling stories, and we love working together in a collaborative and creative environment. (Also, we're totally fun to be around.)
To get in touch, fill out the form below. Remember to include a link to your online portfolio, or to a downloadable portfolio, a cover letter and your CV. Applications without portfolios or relevant work samples and experience will not be considered. If your application is complete, we'll get back to you as soon as we can!
We're currently looking for:
- Technical art director or senior technical artist
- 3D modeller/level designer
Common to all positions
We are looking for candidates with a high degree of self-motivation and initiative and a positive attitude, preferably with prior industry experience, along with a relevant university degree and an exceptional portfolio.
You'll be joining a young indie studio working out of a beautiful office in downtown Oslo, Norway. We're on the third floor of a 130 year old classic building, together with several other interesting start-ups and tech companies (our closest neighbour is Spotify).
Our building has a café and gourmet restaurant downstairs, a bar in the backyard, lots of grocery stores, lunch bars and coffee houses just minutes away, and we're within a ten-minute walk from a lot of what Oslo has to offer, including all public transportation, malls, museums, restaurants and nightlife.
We're looking for people who can fit in with our diverse and experienced team of artists, designers and developers. We're friendly, social, fun to be around, and we have a TON of passion for our craft and for Dreamfall Chapters -- and you should feel the same way!
Technical art director
Red Thread Games is looking for a technical art director who can help push the visual boundaries on current and future projects across a variety of platforms -- including PC, next generation console hardware, mobile devices and handhelds.
The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver and has a history working in a senior art or technical position in the game industry, across a variety of platforms. Experience with a wide range of content generation tools as well as engines, workflows and pipelines is preferred.
The successful candidate will help breathe life into our games, employ her or his expert-level knowledge of 3D tools and problem-solving skills to provide technical support for artists, critique work, mentor fellow artists, and foster the long-term growth of an energetic and inspired art team.
The technical art director must be a jack of all trades; the candidate is an artist with previous experience in environment and character modelling, animation and lighting, visual and particle effects, and should be able to jump into any art pipeline to help maintain, manage, build and support the team’s 3D tools.
The ideal candidate must be willing and able to contribute wherever necessary. He or she will be hands on with asset creation and modelling, designing and building scenes in Unity, and take a leading role with visual and particle effects and lighting of game environments.
- Act as the studio's technical art expert and handle all aspects of producing prototypes and samples, gathering requirements, directing resources, doing production work, analysing results and communicating them as appropriate.
- Work with development teams to evaluate production issues and define solutions, whether they be knowledge/training, process, pipeline or tool related, and research and implement processes and methodologies to raise the quality bar of the studio.
- Regularly review characters, levels, cutscenes, lighting and visual effects for quality and visual consistency, and provide creative input, direction, mentoring and support to artists, both in-house and outsourcing partners.
- Together with the art director, help create and communicate the artistic vision for games in development, clearly communicate that vision to the team, and maintain that vision consistently throughout the production process.
- Work collaboratively with game designers and engineers to understand and interpret gameplay requirements to communicate gameplay mechanics to the player within the budgets of the engine.
- Work with external partners, such as outsourcing companies, game engine developers, console manufacturers and graphics card vendors to establish and maintain relationships, and deliver assets needed for production, testing, prototyping and bug fixing.
- Continuously shape your own workday and future at Red Thread Games, and the future of the studio as a whole.
This management level role requires the following skills
- Excellent understanding of game-specific technical art knowledge.
- 3+ of industry experience, with at least one shipped title as technical art director, senior artist or senior technical artist.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative, and a positive attitude, with an ability to inspire and motivate the artists with clear and constructive feedback.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience as a 3D generalist with previous exposure to environment modelling, visual effects and particle systems, lighting and characters modelling, rigging and animation, preferably in a breadth of artistic styles.
- Hands-on experience with multiple art packages/workflows/methodologies, including 3DS MAX and other commercial 3D and 2D authoring packages. The candidate should also be comfortable tinkering with, maintaining and providing support for every art tool at their disposal.
- Solid working knowledge and understanding of commercial game engines, including Unity, Unreal and/or Cryengine.
- Ability to evaluate competitive products and learn from their implementation solutions.
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process to help understand how to best implement features, and an understanding of effective asset creation and optimisation.
- An avid gamer.
Preferred skills for the position
- Bachelor or Masters diploma in a relevant technical and/or artistic field. Some background in the fine arts is a big plus.
- 5+ years of professional game development experience, with a minimum of three years in a supervisory position, and two or three shipped products as an environment artist, animator, character artist, or other related title, including previous employment as a lead in an art or programming department.
- Animation experience, with a keen eye for motion, compositing, and animation.
- Experience writing shaders for PC and/or consoles.
- Hands-on Unity experience with at least one shipped title in a relevant art position.
- Scripting and plug-in writing skills for 3DS MAX, Maya or XSI, plus Perl or Python.
Designer / scripterRed Thread Games is looking for a self-motivated, driven and creative designer/scripter to work on Draugen, a first-person horror adventure for PC/Mac/Linux and next-generation consoles, built using the Unity engine.
Candidates must have past experience working with Unity, and will have shipped at least one commercial title as designer and/or scripter.
The successful candidate will be passionate about games and the craft of game design, and be comfortable with taking initiative and independently find creative solutions to complex problems. You will be able to handle all aspects of game design, implementation and scripting, and you will also be comfortable working within a multidisciplinary team where you will be expected to — through collaboration — achieve the highest quality possible. You will have very high standards in everything you do and a devotion to creating the best game experience possible within a set timeframe.
An understanding of first-person adventure and horror games — such as Amnesia, Gone Home, Outlook, Dear Esther and Penumbra — is expected and required. You will have played all relevant titles, and be able to discuss these games from both a player and designer point of view.
The position is initially a six month engagement, starting in January/February 2014, with the possibility of a longer engagement or permanent contract.
- Research setting, brainstorm ideas and game mechanics, and collaborate with the writers on the narrative design for the game.
- Write design documents and communicate vision and game mechanics to the team.
- Implement using Unity game editor, script game logic and game narrative using a combination of in-house and third-party tools.
- Rapid prototyping of ideas and designs; testing, iterating and constantly improving game mechanics and narrative.
- Prior experience as designer/scripter working with Unity game engine on published titles.
- Strong academic background (Bachelor or similar).
- Excellent English and Norwegian written and oral communication skills.
- Creative problem solver, resourceful, self-motivated and organised, and relentlessly self-critical.
- A team player who can work constructively with artists, programmers, writers and management in a collaborative environment.
- Modding experience using first-person engines such as CryEngine and Unreal.
- Experience with 3D level design and level editing using Unity.
- C# programming experience.
- Professional writing experience with examples of published works in games, comics, TV/movies, prose or press.
Yes, I'd love to work at Red Thread Games!
If your portfolio is not on a website or shared Dropbox, please compress and attach it to an email and send it to email@example.com together with your resume and cover letter. Applications without a relevant portfolio will NOT be considered.